The Post Quiz: Made in the UK

1 Conversation

Take a trip down memory lane.

The Post Quiz: Made in the UK

A Foor Packet Label showing Brain's Faggots.

Okay, Brits: you're up. Foreigners (like your Editor) can guess along. The Edited Guide abounds with stories of food and drink products that are an integral part of the cultural heritage of the UK.

Match the product to its fact.

FactProduct
  1. 'Deceptively like crude oil in appearance.'
  2. Originally called 'Johnston's Fluid Beef'.
  3. One of those 'patent concoctions emerging from the dark satanic grime of the Industrial Revolution.'
  4. Also known as 'mother's ruin'.
  5. Connected in myth to Mary, Queen of Scots.
  6. What's in it 'is a subject possibly best left unresearched.'
  7. Named by 'drunken sailors'.
  8. This Australian favourite is 'possibly the most disgusting semi-edible bread spread in the world.'
  9. Invented by the landlord of an oyster bar in London's financial district.
  10. Invented by Heinz, but popular in the UK as 'the world's first socialist sauce.'
  • Vegemite.
  • Old Tom's Gin.
  • Salad cream.
  • Brain's Faggots.
  • Bovril.
  • Pusser's Rum.
  • Pimm's No 1.
  • Orange marmalade.
  • HP Sauce.
  • Marmite.

Think you knew them all? Click on the yummy food approximation to find out.

Click for answers.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

3.06.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87797326

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more