The Post Cheese Quiz

0 Conversations

More yummy goodies from the Edited Guide. Just for you gourmets.

The Post Cheese Quiz

Bread and Dutch Cheese, a photograph by Lanzababy

This quiz is sure to get you salivating. Just ask 2legs, if you have a couple of hours to chat about that perennial favourite topic of h2g2ers: cheese, in all its glory. Whether soft, hard, aged, or (blush) in an aerosol can, this dairy product stirs the imagination and makes inquiring minds want to know.

Test your knowledge of the incredible edibles below. All quotes courtesy of your Guide to Life, the Universe, and Everything (especially cheese).

  1. Here's an easy one to start: '_______ remains the most widely-purchased and eaten cheese in the world.'
  2. 'To be given the name ________, a cheese is required, in addition to being made from local milk within Derbyshire, Leicestershire or Nottinghamshire, to be of the standard cylindrical shape, with delicate blue veins forming a radial pattern around the centre of the cheese.'
  3. How are you at non-UK cheeses? 'As Greek as pi, ____ cheese is the soft, crumbly, briny, virginal-white, ewes-milk cheese without cubes of which a Greek salad would be but tomatoes and cucumber on a plate.'
  4. 'Strictly speaking it isn't [cheese], but next to cross country skiing and trolls there are few things more Norwegian than an open-faced sandwich of _______.' What is this whey-based dairy product?
  5. For French cheeses, here's a toughie: '_________ is named after the French Normandy town whose inhabitants claim somewhat dubiously to have 'invented' it during the French Revolution in the late 18th Century, having at some stage fed some to Napoleon and passed it off as their own.'
  6. '...you should be an owner of a microwave - the more powerful, the better.' In order to make what, exactly? (Remember the topic.)
  7. 'What cheesemakers want to avoid is uncontrolled fungal invasion and moisture loss, so some kind of barrier is needed to keep mould spores out and moisture in. ' So they do what?
  8. This cheese-related sentence is so wonderful, it must be quoted in full: 'Known to have come in aerosol form until it was no longer fashionable, and sometimes still available in a way similar to shaving cream dispensers, presently ______ ____ is best found in American supermarkets in glass jars, plastic squeezable bottles, and in the cellulite of several million American bodies.'
  9. This one may be a challenge: '__________ ________ is made at a small Italian farm, and the process begins with cows. They eat a special diet of grass and hay.'
  10. Picking on the Americans again: 'Otherwise known as 'cheese in a box', ________ cheese is an American phenomenon and joins aerosol cheese as the only cheese products that are so incredibly fake it doesn't require refrigeration.'

Think you're ready for your next wine and cheese party? Stick a knife into the answers by clicking on the pic below.

A piece of blue cheese with a knife stuck in it.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

01.07.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87800231

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more