Oddity of the Week: George Washington and the Spies

0 Conversations

How long have US spy organisations been around? Depends on whom you ask. Why not ask…

George Washington and the Spies

George Washington and a spy, from James Fennimore Cooper's novel.

George Washington, Virginia gentleman, employed spies? What was the world coming to?

Revolution, my friend, and yes, he did. Some attribute the success of the US movement for 'independency' on the excellent spy network and superior sneakiness of the Founders. Franklin and that lot were crafty. Besides, they had the best teachers in the world: the foxy British.

This engraving is from 1846, by Charles Burt (1822-1892). It shows Washington meeting with the spy Harvey Birch, in a famous scene from James Fennimore Cooper's novel, appropriately titled The Spy. Cooper's novel first appeared in 1821. The Spy is usually considered the first American war novel. Thrilling stuff, if you're a fan of Cooper, which Mark Twain wasn't. Mark Twain's advice to Cooper was, among others, 'Use the right word, not its second cousin.' We think this suggestion holds good, even if you write for the Huffington Post.

Many believe Cooper's fictional spy, Harvey Birch, was based on a real spy, Enoch Crosby. Crosby pretended to be a Loyalist in order to infiltrate Loyalist meetings. The intel he gained was valuable. He survived the war, by the way, and settled down to farming.

Are spies good guys or bad guys? Depends on whose side you're on, we suppose. We suspect, as well, that it isn't often as glamorous as all those Bond actors try to make out: you probably end up going around peddling yard goods and sleeping in barns. You might wake up with your hair full of hay – shaken, not stirred.

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

08.07.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87801410

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more