Oddity of the Week: A Philadelphia City Garden

0 Conversations

July is garden month at the Create Challenge. What do gardens mean to you?

A Philadelphia City Garden

A garden feature in Fairmount Park, Philadelphia, in 1876.

This colour lithograph by John C Sinclair was made in 1879. The Library of Congress describes it like this:

Print shows a view of a fixture constructed at the base of a hillside from which water issues into a small basin, with a small garden of flowers in the foreground, from a souvenir booklet of views of Fairmount Park in Philadelphia, part 1st, 1870.

It's a nice feature in a very spacious and attractive city park. But that's only part of the story.

Robert Morris was one of the Founders of the US. In fact, he financed the US War of Independence. Unfortunately, that was a costly undertaking: he went bankrupt. To make ends meet, he sold his country farm to another businessman, who built such beautiful gardens there that people were willing to pay admission to see them. Cool.

In 1843, the City of Philadelphia bought the estate for parkland to go with their new and impressive waterworks. In 1876, the park was the site of the Centennial Exposition, the first official World's Fair in the US. Among other wonders, it displayed the right arm and torch of the as-yet uncompleted Statue of Liberty. Most people got their first taste of a banana at the fair.

Today, the park system and zoo comprise 9,200 acres. People stroll, jog, bike, hike, and enjoy recreation in this urban paradise.

Not bad for a garden, eh?

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

15.07.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87801744

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more