The Post Quiz: Gardening In The Edited Guide - Answers

0 Conversations

How does your garden grow?

Gardening in the Edited Guide: Answers

The Mexican Tiger Flower (Tigridia Pavonia).

The Edited Guide has lots of gardening information. From wildlife gardens to window boxes, there are tips for every level of involvement.

Check how well you did on our quiz. The links will lead you to the Guide Entry for more sage gardening advice.

  1. From how to protect your favourite citrus tree to planting the perfect booby trap for slugs and snails, here you'll find all manner of advice and tips on how to make your neighbours go green with envy at your garden.
  2. Gardens in the UK generally need around 2.5cms of water a week to keep plants healthy and growing well.
  3. Of all the skills associated with the gardening arts nothing has come close to acquiring the same degree of mysticism and superstitious dread as pruning.
  4. Bats are protected by law in the UK, and are very rare in an urban garden. The easiest way to attract them is to grow night scented flowers, and follow all the suggestions on how to build a wildlife garden, as this will attract the insects that they eat.
  5. Another natural control for caterpillars is an organism called Bacillus thuringiensis, which destroys the caterpillar from the inside.
  6. The art of pruning living bushes and trees into fantastic shapes has been around for as long as formal gardening itself. Pliny the Elder described it in the 1st Century AD. The history of topiary provides a fascinating read...
  7. If you haven't got the room, or the cash, for a greenhouse, you can still grow winter vegetables.
  8. Guerrilla gardening is the act of reclaiming empty and neglected spaces and illicitly transforming them into unofficial gardens by filling them with flowers, plants or sometimes fruits and vegetables.
  9. Bonsai is a Japanese word that is used everywhere to mean a tree or shrub planted in a shallow container, and trained to look like a full-size tree.
  10. When you consider what the most common garden creatures are, the snail or the slug, or one of the many insects that call the Earth home might spring to mind. However, it is more likely that the gnome is the most prevalent of garden inhabitants throughout the western – and perhaps entire – world.

If you got them all, we bet your courgettes win prizes at the local fair. If not, don't despair: even garden gnomes have their off days.

Didn't see your favourite gardening subject covered? Why not consider sharing your own expertise with us during Create's gardening month?

Remember: Your dahlia may be two centimeters smaller than your neighbour's, but it's just as pretty.

Blue Peter presenters John Noakes and Peter Purves digging a hole at the side of a road in 1971
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

15.07.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87801780

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more