Back to School

1 Conversation


What do you remember of your schooldays? I went to an old-fashioned girls grammar school, where we wore pinafore dresses and played hockey. As this was in the sixties, some of the girls hitched their skirts as high as they could and wore their berets folded into little triangles pinned on the back of their beehive hairdos. We must have looked like something out of St Trinians, but discipline was strict and subjects were taught in the most academic fashion. In French we learned verbs, in Maths algebra and in Chemistry the periodic table.


Nevertheless I still remember some of the teachers with affection. There was a cookery teacher who enlivened the lessons with laughter. She likened me to a 'nymph that's been stung by a gadfly', beause I used to rush around dropping ingredients and getting in a panic. My English teacher produced the school play, which was the highlight of my year, and inspired me with a love of literature.


Now it's your turn because we want you to tell us about your schooldays. There are two ways you can do this. You can write a short piece about your memories of school, and send us photos. Or you can write an article for the edited guide on one of the school subjects listed below. We're not cruel enough to set you reams of homework, so we suggest you limit your entries to 800 words.


  • Art

  • English

  • Geograpy

  • History

  • Maths

  • Modern Languages

  • Physical Education

  • Science

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87807036

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more