The Post Quiz - Back-to-School Quotes - Answers

0 Conversations

School daze, school daze...

Back-to-School Quotes: Answers

University students.

During September, Create wants you to write on education. Or dredge up your memories of school, good and bad, and send them to us at the Post. We'd love to read them.

It's more fun than grading papers, for sure.

How well did you do with our school quotes? Who said what about their formative years? Check the answers out below.

Quotes:

  1. I have always had school sickness, as others have seasickness. I cried when it was time to go back to school long after I was old enough to be ashamed of such behaviour. Philosopher Jacques Derrida.
  2. The authority of those who teach is often an obstacle to those who want to learn. Roman orator Cicero.
  3. A long time ago, there was no such thing as school, and children spent their days learning a trade, a phrase which here means 'standing around doing tedious tasks under the instruction of a bossy adult.' In time, however, people realized that the children could be allowed to sit, and the first school was invented. Lemony Snicket, in Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid.
  4. Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school. Albert Einstein.
  5. God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board. Mark Twain.
  6. A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad. Trust-buster Theodore Roosevelt.
  7. A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall. Vince Lombardi, US football coach.
  8. I had a terrible education. I attended a school for emotionally disturbed teachers. Woody Allen, who else?
  9. I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did. Yogi Berra, who always said things like that.
  10. It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. Aristotle, who gave us a lot of ideas we probably shouldn't accept.

Knew them all? Give yourself an A. Or a 1. Or whatever your school system does that says, 'Good job!'. And remember: Create wants you!

Library books on a shelf
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

02.09.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87808792

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more