The Post Quiz - Odd Namesakes - Answers

0 Conversations

Famous names, not-so-famous connections.

Odd Namesakes: Answers

Portmeirion Italianate Village, Wales.

Ah, fame. Some of these people got more than their fifteen minutes.

Were you able to name them all? Here are the answers.

  1. What famous opera singer had both a breakfast food and a dessert named after her? Nellie Melba. Melba toast and Peach Melba were named in her honour by chef Auguste Escoffier.
  2. What British politician had a running shoe named after him? Samuel Plimsoll. The line on the canvas shoes reminded people of the 'Plimsoll Line', a painted line on Navy ships. Plimsoll made them put the line there, to prove a safety point.
  3. This one's fictional: What fictional Scots femme fatale had a clipper ship named after her? Cutty Sark. That means 'short nightgown' in Scots. Robbie Burns invented this fetching witch, in his poem Tam o'Shanter. Tam, of course, got a hat named after him.
  4. What annoying feature of modern male dress is the fault of the British Royal Family? The Windsor Knot. Now, go argue whether it was King George V or Edward VIII. We don't care, it's still a chore.
  5. What garment is named after James Brudenell, and associated with the Charge of the Light Brigade? The cardigan. (James Brudenell was Lord Cardigan.)
  6. Why is Wilhelm Röntgen's name a verb in German? He invented the x-ray apparatus. So you go to get geröntgt.
  7. What prolific US actor has a sociological measurement named after him? Kevin Bacon. What's your 'Bacon number'?
  8. Another fictional character: What hat name is George Du Maurier responsible for? The Trilby. Trilby was the eponymous heroine of Du Maurier's 1894 novel. It was a runaway success. (You had to be there.)
  9. 'Is that a pistol in your pocket, or…' have you just misspelled the man's name? Henry Deringer spelled his name with one 'r'. He came from Pennsylvania, and invented the 'pocket pistol'.
  10. What moody-looking actor's name became a verb meaning 'to refuse to share'? Humphrey Bogart. The actor was famous for leaving a cigarette hanging in his mouth. We'll leave you to figure out the connection.

How well did you do? Do you know of any other famous namesakes? If so, share them with us! Better yet, write a Guide Entry about the connection.

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

25.11.13 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87816559

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more