The h2g2 Coffee House

0 Conversations


In the 1960's United States a new type of popular hangout became popular among American teenagers - The 'Coffee House'. Although the Greenwich Village neighbourhood of New York City and the Haight-Ashbury1 district of San Francisco are most closely associated with this phenomenon, small clubs sprang up in almost every community, even small towns and villages.

The Entertainment


Most of these clubs had a small cover charge to cover rent and utilities and depended on volunteer performers to provide the entertainment. Singers, poets and even magicians might show up and offer their services for only the recognition of their peers.


Other activities were often also available, rooms for board games such as chess. Small theatres showing avant-garde films, and other areas for 'rapping2

Why we are here


A few days before this Entry was created one of the great folk singers in America passed away - Pete Seeger - the number of responses drew the complaint of the members of the thread. More importantly several posters had met the entertainer for the first time when they learned of his death.


We are an international site with members all around the world. I am sure many who read this will know of a dozen or more songs that I have not heard. Song in languages other than English are more than welcome.


I would like to have not only a link to your song, but a short paragraph that mentions what it is about and why it is important to you.

Entertainment


I expect we will want several sub-Entries for the various
songs to follow, by type.

Some of Florida Sailors Favourite Folk Songs
1An intersection in the low rent district of the city of San Francisco, California.2In the 1960's this was discussing the issues of the day, and had no connection to the new age style of 'music'.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87823281

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more