Oddity of the Week: Birthplace of the Empire

0 Conversations

And now, we take you back in history…

Birthplace of the Empire

Mount Washington Tavern and Fort Necessity Museum

What's that, you say? The British Empire was the greatest empire in history? And so it was. It spread further and wreaked more general havoc than the Babylonians, Egyptians, Romans, and Aztecs combined. Very important thing, that British empire.

But how did it get that way? Doh. By beating the French. In the Seven Years' War. Which would not have happened, probably, if a bunch of Regulars and militiamen hadn't had a run-in with the French at a little place called Fort Necessity, on the Ohio Valley frontier, back in 1754.

The British colonial commander, one George Washington, was out of luck. He was outnumbered, two to one, by French and Indians. He tried his best, honest, but he was forced to accept surrender terms. Now, here's where it gets interesting.

Washington couldn't read French very well. So, when he signed the surrender document, he was unaware that he was confessing to complicity in the 'assassination' of a French officer who had been killed on Washington's watch. This, of course, came back to haunt the British. The French got mad. The British got mad. Things came to a boil (slowly, no Twitter back then), and two years later, the Seven Years' War broke out. Also known as World War 0. World War 0 may have spread to India, Africa, and large sections of Europe, but it got started near Pittsburgh.

At the end of World War O, Britain was the premier superpower on the planet! Frankly, we think you owe it all to George Washington. The moral of this story is: if you want to build a really big empire, don't learn French.

At least, that's our story, and we're sticking to it.

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

03.03.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87823948

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more