Writing Right Challenge: The End and the Beginning

0 Conversations

Writing Right Challenge: The End and the Beginning

Freewayriding sent us this amazing email – and even more amazing story. We just had to share his creative process with you.

He said: ' I don't know if this is 'exercising empathy' or just good old people watching, but the line you wrote about 'you've got to stop judging them' rang a bell.
My wife and I observed a woman in a bar, obviously having a fling I thought judging from the marks where her wedding and engagement rings had been removed. Also looked very edgy and obviously waiting for someone, too made up for a business meeting etc etc. My wife tells me she's not having an affair she's ending one. Judging by the nervous look on the guy's face when he turned up, I thought she'd gotten it the wrong way around...will I ever learn never to argue with a psychologist!
Anyway here's the tale...'

A couple drinking red<br/>
wine

Beth had found a new lease on life since the break up. When he'd accused her of having an affair, to be perfectly honest with herself, it came as a relief. No more sneaking around, no more lies and no more having to put up with a boring mundane life she'd endured just to advance a little further up the social and property ladders. She'd refused point blank to give him her lover's details for the divorce papers, and had a snide thrill when she asked him what made him think it was just one? With the house and bank accounts split fifty-fifty, Beth knew she wouldn't have to worry about money and could get on with enjoying her life.

And such enjoyment! She'd thrown herself into each new experience, trying everything she had always fancied but held back from because of her soon to be ex-husband's precious bloody job. John was a good man, but Jesus he was dull. That tedious grey, kind of lights off, once a week, five minute missionary position dull.

She hadn't looked back after the accusation, packing her bags whilst he was out at work and moving into a hotel in Chester. Then a few weeks later her new life had well and truly started. The rushed afternoon liaisons became luxurious two night marathons. Trips to Paris, Amsterdam (Christ she still got flushed thinking of that one!) and Berlin without having to lie and hide her love. But in the cold light of day did she actually love him, or was it just lust and excitement?

Now that she was free from domestic tedium she had reviewed her affair with newly focused and honest eyes. The excitement and places played as much a part in her infatuation as the romance. In fact, being brutally honest, there had never been any real romance, just two friends having a great time that had almost naturally evolved into a sexual relationship. So, no, hiding her love was incorrect, hiding her lover more to the point.
He'd called to see if she was free for a coffee that afternoon. She'd dutifully worn the white stockings that he loved although as she teased the silk up her legs she realized that the spark of excitement had gone.

The stockings were rolled back down and abandoned on the floor; she stared absentmindedly at the small white bands encircling her ring finger, faint reminders of a life discarded.
She fortified her resolve with a rather large drink when she arrived at the Grosvenor Hotel and sat back in the sumptuous bar chair, sipping brandy and watching the doors.

He'd arrived ten minutes later, for a man usually so cocksure of himself he looked nervous and a little dishevelled (or am I just seeing the real person now it's over? She wondered).

'Hi, sorry I'm late couldn't get a parking spot.' he kissed her cheek and she noticed the booze on his breath even over the brandy in her system. 'Thanks for coming at such short notice.'

'Christ, Stephen, you sound like you're about to interview me! What's the matter with you?'

'Sorry, just a little preoccupied,' he looked nervously around the bar, 'Look, we could go back to your place if you'd rather?'

'No. Here's fine.' She was expecting the usual little boy hurt look reserved for if she refused any of his advances; instead, was that a flicker of relief in his eyes?

'It's just..'

She stopped him with a finger gently touched to his lips, 'It's ok, I know. Thanks for everything, I've had a ball, you take care of yourself,' and with that she kissed him once, a deep sigh of a kiss, turned and walked out of his life and into hers.

Writing Right with Dmitri Archive

Freewayriding

24.03.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87825513

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more