I Couldn't Care Less: Lest Ye Be Judged

1 Conversation

A hypodermic needle and a vial

Lest Ye Be Judged

Last time I put finger to keyboard it was to tell you about the hassles inherent in applying for benefits. Well since then I received a reply from the help with health costs people, who say we are entitled to some limited help, but not much. They’ll cover our costs when we start spending more money on healthcare than we can afford in the first place, basically. I didn’t see this coming, frankly. I’d forgotten how little money it is deemed reasonable for two people to live on, and was consequently amazed that my 25hrs a week on minimum wage was deemed enough to support two adults. Odd really, when not long ago I was watching government experts on TV freely concede that the minimum wage did not amount to a living wage. Anyway, that out of the way, next we faced the Department for Work and Pensions Independent Assessment Tribunal.


The first thing to say is that they are genuinely independent. They are passing their eyes as doctors, social workers and lawyers over the opinion of the DWP with complete liberty to overturn it. Some might suggest that the frequency with which they do calls into question the decision making process of the DWP, but that’s another argument. We started the process of applying for mobility allowance for R in November 2012 (not a typo) based largely on the fact that she was increasingly unable to see anything on her right hand side. So today we arrived at a hotel 10 minutes’ walk from our flat. Worth noting also that, should you have such a tribunal, you can ask for it to be located in the town where you live. I don’t know if they will guarantee to agree, but you can, and should, ask. We were directed down some stairs and found our way to a room where a uniformed guard sat at a table. He slightly put me off by sitting watching the odious Jeremy Kyle on TV while we waited, and laughing at Kyle’s ‘wit1 but he was friendly and helpful, chatting away while we waited and pouring my wife a glass of water when she emerged after the hearing looking a little pale.


Anyway, before the glass of water, a chap called Ray arrived. He volunteers for a local advice service and has been kindly guiding us through this minefield. When he arrived, we went next door to where the appeal was being heard, and met the panel; a social worker, a doctor and the chair, who was probably a lawyer. She reminded me immediately of my head of year when I was 12 – firm, but kind. I trusted her straight away. Once introductions and explanations were underway, the doctor started asking my wife questions. I was given a piece of paper to make notes on anything I might wish to raise later, and busily scribbled down anything I felt R might have mentioned. She held up very well considering the pain she was in. With little guidance from me (a couple of dates and numbers) she answered questions from the doctor and the ‘care person’ articulating her pain, range of movement, range of vision, mobility issues, care needs and sundry other questions. They were kind, patient and unthreatening and the whole process felt to me as easy as they could reasonably make it. Once they had quizzed my wife I was offered the chance to chip in, and added my own thoughts, anything R hadn’t mentioned or, perhaps, hadn’t expressed completely. After Ray was given a chance to add anything else, we were asked to go, and they made their decision. That’s right, they usually – though not always – make their minds up and tell you before you leave the building.


The hearing had lasted no more than 40 minutes. Maybe 5 minutes later we were back in the room, decision made and letters duly typed and printed for us to take home. I was pretty impressed: why can’t the DWP be this efficient? Half this efficient would be considerable progress. Anyway, the final result after all this was that they found in R’s favour and granted her lower rate mobility allowance, back dated to the date of her application. A year and a half ago. So there you go. It’s not easy, and you will benefit from help along the way, but with perseverance and determination you might just get the help you are entitled to.

Articles by benjaminpmoore Archive

benjaminpmoore

21.04.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1You don’t know the meaning of the word truth. You don’t know the meaning of the word love. You don’t know the meaning of the word antidisestablishmentarianism etc…

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87827575

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more