Oddity of the Week: Tornado Alley

1 Conversation

Weather can be scary.

Tornado Alley

A tornad over Kansas in 1902.

If you looked at this scary picture and joked, 'Well, I guess we're not in Kansas anymore,' you watch too many movies. And you've probably never lived in a tornado alley – an area which is tornado-prone. Tornados are nasty. Much to the amusement of radio announcers in the Northeast corridor, they 'sound just like a freight train' when they come through. Let's see how the New York crowd would deal with a freight train in their apartments.

Your Editor was in St Louis, Missouri, once – the next state over from Kansas – and waiting for a bus when the alarm sounded. He looked around: flat landscape, open territory, not a soul in sight. The sky was a sickening shade of green. He thought, 'Well, maybe I'll meet the Wizard of Oz after all,' and just sat there. There wasn't much else to do. Fortunately, no flying cows appeared.

Here in North Carolina, the tornado alley is very localized. During tornado season – spring, summer, and early fall – the TV weather people keep us apprised of the tornados. They're proud of their new software which allows them to track twisters street-by-street. If you sign up, their autodial system will phone you and tell you to run for the cellar, if you've got one.

Once there, crack open your emergency kits, brew up some coffee on the camp stove, stay away from windows, and try singing 'Somewhere over the Rainbow'. This, too, will pass.

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

28.04.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87827953

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more