Oddity of the Week: Beauty

0 Conversations

The darling buds of May…

Beauty

The Flower Girl, by Currier and Ives

Beauty, famously, is in the eye of the beholder. To Currier and Ives customers in 1845, this picture had it to spare. A gorgeous hottie and some lovely posies. Wow.

We will not mock further. Okay, that's not a miniskirt, but our lass there might have been a runway model, back in the day. That was the latest hairstyle, too.

Shakespeare said it best:

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?

Thou are more lovely and more temperate,

Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,

And summer's lease hath all too short a date.

But thy eternal summer shall not fade…

The Bard might have been talking about this lovely lady. Or her flowers. Take your pick.

And gather ye rosebuds while ye may…

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

26.05.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87829753

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more