Oddity of the Week: Rocket Park

1 Conversation

You'll have a blast at the rocket park.

A Visit to the Rocket Park

The Rocket Park in Alabama.

Do you know what Huntsville, Alabama, was famous for before Werner von Braun got there?

Watercress. The 5,000-citizen town was the "watercress capital of the world". (Okay, Brits, you can argue with them about that.)

Now, of course, Huntsville is famous for space pioneering. And yes, there's a space center and park. Okay, it's called the US Space and Rocket Center. You can visit it. Carol Highsmith's Library of Congress collection gives us this lovely photo.

What would you like to do at the rocket park? Me, I'd like to see all of these things:

  • The Saturn V Moon Rocket: A National Landmark
  • Pathfinder: the only full-stack space shuttle display in the world
  • Apollo 16 Command Module
  • Skylab Orbital Workshop

You know Werner von Braun, don't you? The fellow who 'aimed at the stars, but sometimes hit London'? He seems to have made a lot of people in Alabama really happy. And put some exciting hardware up. Plan your next visit, and satisfy your curiosity.

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

04.08.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87835792

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more