Oddity of the Week: Einstein Among the Holly

0 Conversations

Have a close encounter with a Famous Person. Right in the park.

Einstein Among the Holly

Statue of Albert Einstein in Washington, DC.

He looks so lifelike, doesn't he? But pictures can be deceiving. This casually-posed image of Uncle Albert is larger than life – 12 feet tall, and weighing 4 tonnes. It's located on the grounds of the US's National Academy of Sciences in Washington, DC. Sculptor Robert Berks modeled the huge bronze likeness from a bust he'd made in Princeton when Einstein was alive. The statue was dedicated in 1979, the centenary of the physicist's birth.

Somehow, this statue is a fitting memorial to a man who taught us all how to see the universe: as both monumental and familiar, mysterious, yet susceptible to understanding. He sits, surrounded by his papers, in the midst of the holly on the grounds of the institution of which he was a treasured member. If you're there, you can go and talk to him.

Maybe he'll give you an idea or two.

Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

18.08.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87836836

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more