The Post Quiz: The Haunted UK - Answers

0 Conversations

Ready for some spooky tourism?

The Haunted UK: Answers

A graveyard

In the UK, ghosts appear to be so common that you figure everyone's pretty blasé about it. After all, what's a haunting or two among friends? They've been around for hundreds of years, too: that vanishing house in Rougham has been spotted for at least 150 years. It's sort of annoying: one minute it's there, the next, it isn't. People wish it would hang around, because the gardens look so nice.

How many of these UK ghosts did you know about?

  1. What is said to happen at the former RAF base of Elsham Wolds, North Lincolnshire?
    • Ghost planes fly over the A15. (Wave as they go by.)
  2. What is the ghost of a young boy doing in Arundel Castle?
    • Scrubbing pots and pans. (He's behind on his work.)
  3. What is said to happen to people who spend the night at 50 Berkeley Square in London?
    • They go mad. (Okay, we'll ask: how can you tell?)
  4. What is special about the A229 in Kent?
    • It has a phantom hitchhiker. (And she never says thank you.)
  5. What weird phenomenon allegedly occurs with maddening frequency on Bold Street in Liverpool?
    • Time slips. (It's getting ridiculous, and kind of hard on shoppers.)
  6. In 1928, forty London policemen spent six hours looking for a ghost. Where had it appeared?
    • The Old Bailey. (It was in the newspapers the next day.)
  7. What annoys the night watchman at the Opera House in Belfast?
    • A ghost that won't get off the stage. (Actors.)
  8. How can you identify the distinctive ghost of Helen Gunn at Ackergill Tower in Scotland?
    • She's wearing a red ball gown. (It rustles, too.)
  9. Why has the stone flooring in Scotland's Castle Fraser been covered over with wood?
    • They couldn't get the ancient bloodstains out, even with industrial strength cleaner. (The moral: don't drag dead bodies around. It's murder on the interior decoration.)
  10. What is interesting about the ghosts in Beaumans Castle, Anglesey?
    • Their chanting has been caught on audiotape. (It's called EVP, and it's the hottest thing in ghostbusting.)
  11. Why do some people associate the vanishing house of Rougham, Suffolk, with Doctor Who?
    • Its appearance and disappearance is accompanied by loud noises. (Maybe the chameleon circuit IS working?)

Did you know them all? Does this give you an inspiration for your next free weekend? We recommend avoiding 50 Berkeley Square. Nah – the ghosts won't bother you, but the place is the oldest original house in London. Better stay in one of the classier haunted hotels. If you're going to have ghosts, why not be able to offer them something from the minibar?

A ghost-shaped sign advertising a ghost walk in Lincolnshire
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

27.10.14 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87841812

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more