The Charles I and Henrietta Maria of France NOT FOR REVIEW

0 Conversations

The Return From Spain To England

In early 1624, Prince Charles returning to England after failing to secure a marriage contract for the hand of the Infanta Maria Anna, of Spain. It was decided that the Royal party should travel through France while returning to England from Spain. The royal entourage included Duke of Buckingham George Villiers1 and other members of the English gentry, protocol2 dictated that Charles called on King Louis XIII's court3.

When Charles and his party arrived in France to conduct marriage negotiations they were accommodated at the mansion of the Duchesse de Chevreuse near Paris. Charles had a motive for the visit after the failure to come to an agreement over the terms and conditions for his marriage to the Spanish Infanta, the opportunity of an interview with King Louis XIII was perfect. It was Charles intention to negotiate the terms of a marriage contract to Louis XIII's sister Princess Henrietta Maria4.

The court of France was a maze of conflicting interests, plots and intrigue. There was a conflict of interests between the weak King Louis who was influenced by, his mother Marie de Medici and Cardinal Richelieu, who both sought the control Louis and the throne and thereby rule France by proxy. Louis however was not quite weak enough to allow either to totally dominate him. The negotiations were successfully concluded and although there were conditions demanded by the French, they were more reasonable and could be forced on parliament.

The Marriage Negotiations Of Charles and Henrietta Maria

When it came to marriage, the members of royal families and the high ranking nobility of Europe had very little choice of a partner. Generally the arrangements were left to the head of the family, normally the father of the bride or groom. The wishes of the bride or groom were of no importance when to came to a good match. The priority's were, Status, Political power, Wealth, Land and Social rank and most importantly children.

Charles was also faced a limited choice particularly after the failure of the negotiations for the hand of the Spanish Infanta. This is why even the barrier of religion was secondary to the proposed contract of marriage to the French Princess Henrietta Maria.

After the negotiations for the marriage of Charles and Henrietta Maria were agreed. Her brother King Louis XIII5 agreed to give his consent subject to the grant of religious toleration to the Roman Catholics of England. A papal dispensation was required for this mixed faith union to proceed. This was granted by the Pope Urban VIII 6 The 24 year old Charles and the 15 year old Henrietta Maria were married in Canterbury at St. Augustine's Church on 13 June 1625.

As Henrietta Maria was Catholic she was officially excluded from any official participation in the coronation ceremony, and was not crowned as queen of England. The coronation of Charles I took place at Westminster Abbey on 18 June 1633.

The children of Charles Henrietta Maria were.

  • Charles II 29 May 1630 – 6 February 1685, Louis XIII of France and Marie de Medici were his godparents.
  • Mary, Princess Royal and Princess of Orange 4 November 1631 – 24 December 1660.
  • James II and VII 14 October 1633 – 16 September 1701.
  • Elizabeth Stuart 28 December 1635 - 8 September 1650 She died tragically young in a Parliamentary prison at Carisbrooke Castle, Isle of Wight .
  • Anne Stuart 17 March 1637 - 8 December 1640 aged 3.
  • Henry, Duke of Gloucester 8 July 1640 – 18 September 1660.
  • Henrietta, Duchess of Orleans 16 June 1644 – 30 June 1670.

The Dissolution of Parliament and Civil Unrest MOVE TO

Elizabeth I was the last leader monarchs who held the reigns of power firmly in her hands. James weakened the power of the monarchy by his weak leadership and starting a power struggle with Parliament that ultimately the monarchy could not win. Charles inherited his fathers attitude and this battle of wills with parliament, with disastrous consequences.

James had developed a strong belief in the divine right of kings, God’s as appointed and anointed leader.
However it was to be James who started the process of decline of the power of the English monarchy. James still firmly believed that, God makes kings, God is never wrong, so a king appointed by God is never wrong. This tenet was known as the divine right of kings.

The Dissolution of Parliament and Civil Unrest MOVE TO


James left Charles a dangerous legacy that would eventually cost Charles his life. At this time Parliament did not assemble regularly, it was called at the monarchs command as required.This meant Parliament as was called at the kings summons it was expected to do what the monarch expected of it. The Parliament was an assembly to advise and support the king, enact the laws, pass taxes and govern the country in the name of the monarch. And do as the king told it and not to argue against the Royal will.

James was however at an enormous disadvantage James needed Parliament more than Parliament needed him. They controlled the finances of the realm and they could keep and could keep James short of much needed funds.
An example of their power to make James life difficult came in 1611. The Custom duties of the realm formed a substantial part of the kings income. Parliament had control of Custom duties, and had originally granted the crown permission to collect this duty. The members of parliament voted to revoke this in an attempt to bring the king to heal. James responded by dissolving Parliament and was to keep this suspension in force for 10 years.
The kings Privy Council was made up of some the most powerful men in the country. They were appointed to deal with the kings day to day business and without the mandate of Parliament had no power to assemble. James decided to form the council without the mandate of parliament. The first priority was to raise money to rule effectively without the commons, the loss of the Custom duties had been a severe blow. James however turned to other sources of funds, some of his major sources of available revenue were to be.

  • The issuing Royal grants of monopoly, a form of trading licence
  • The sale of titles and knighthoods, no one refused the offered honor.
  • The sale crown property the Dutch Towns of Brill and Flushing in 1616.
  • The dowry bride for Prince Charles of £500,000.

James dispensed with parliament and simply took over the administration of the country, and appointing members of the nobility to assist him. This engaged parliamentary members who regarded it as their legitimate duty to run England. This effectively divided the ruling classes into what was to become the two sides in the eventual conflict of The English Civil War. James passed away on the 27th of March 1625, leaving Charles to try and repair the damage of the last 10 years.

Like father like son

Charles although influenced by his father was not as experienced as James in the dangerous art of 17th century politics

1It was in France, at this time that Buckingham started to made a lasting mark on history with Anne of Austria Queen of France.2Protocol, the manners and customs of royal and diplomatic affairs.3King Louis XIII 27 September 1601 – 14 May 1643.4Henrietta Maria 25 November 1609 – 10 September 1669.5Louis mother Marie de Medici was allowed no part in the marriage negotiations as she had been excluded from the court in 1617.6Borne 1568 Pope from 1623 to his death in 1644.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87842370

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more