The Post Quiz: Bad Future, Better Films

0 Conversations

Cinema: a wonderful educational tool.

The Post Quiz: Bad Futures, Better Films

King Kong holding Fay Wray; a UFO in the background.

It's called 'dystopia' for a reason. Mostly because science fiction writers have a poor grasp of etymology. Anyway, you know what it is: a story based on what might go wrong if we actually put some of our nuttier ideas into practice for too long. Hijinks ensue.

Match these dystopian plot summaries to the films they describe. (No cheating on the imdb.)

Matching.

SynopsisFilm
  1. 1930s 'science' runs amok, and soon everybody's chewing sexy gum.
  2. The Commies win...the rats.
  3. Not trusting anyone over 30 leads to life in a shopping mall. Peter Ustinov and the cats inherit Washington.
  4. Mutual Assured Destruction lives up to its acronym.
  5. A trip to the future proves it: humanity can be replaced by better actors.
  6. Turn off the computer, and go outside. You might get stuck that way.
  7. Everybody's gone to other planets, and we're left behind with Rutger Hauer.
  8. The aliens show up. They look like giant Porktown Prawns, and the humans still haven't learned anything.
  9. We told NASA to keep an eye out for those pesky asteroids.
  10. Only book clubs can save the world. Has anyone notified Oprah?
  • District 9
  • Blade Runner
  • Fahrenheit 451
  • The Day After
  • The Matrix
  • Logan's Run
  • Brave New World
  • Armageddon
  • 1984
  • Planet of the Apes

Got 'em all? Are you worried yet? Check your answers by clicking on the reassuring picture below. (The heroes are winning.)

Artwork showing various cinematic emblems floating in space.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

15.06.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87855240

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more