The Post Quiz: New Year Quote Wars

0 Conversations

Are you ready for another year?

The Post Quiz: New Year Quote Wars

A clock depicting the second between 2006 and 2007.

Somehow, the idea of a New Year brings out the sententiousness in people. Matching these quotes to their weighty authors.

  1. For last year's words belong to last year's language

    And next year's words await another voice.
  2. May the New Year bring you courage to break your resolutions early! My own plan is to swear off every kind of virtue, so that I triumph even when I fall!
  3. Each age has deemed the new-born year

    The fittest time for festal cheer.
  4. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
  5. Now there are more overweight people in America than average-weight people. So overweight people are now average. Which means you’ve met your New Year’s resolution.
  6. Those who gave thee a body, furnished it with weakness; but He who gave thee Soul, armed thee with resolution. Employ it, and thou art wise; be wise and thou art happy.
  7. All of us every single year, we are a different person. I do not think we are the same person all our lives.
  8. Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right.
  9. We must always change, renew, rejuvenate ourselves; otherwise, we harden.
  10. Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come, whispering 'it will be happier'...

Possibilities:

  • Steven Spielberg
  • TS Eliot
  • Jay Leno
  • Alfred, Lord Tennyson
  • Walter Scott
  • Akhenaton
  • Oprah Winfrey
  • Aleister Crowley
  • Goethe
  • Mark Twain

As usual, for answers, click the picture.

A 'Happy New Year' collage.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

28.12.15 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87865032

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more