The Post Quiz: Ancestral Scandals

0 Conversations

What's the weirdest thing our ancestors ever did? It's hard to tell.

The Post Quiz: Ancestral Scandals

Ancestors: everybody's got 'em. What did these ancestors of ours do?

  1. Back when they were Homo erectus, our ancestors started migrating from _______. (It was a long trip to Brighton.)
  2. Our most recent common ancestor was a lady named Mitochondrial _____, 120,000-150,000 years ago. Remember to send her a Mother's Day card.
  3. Scientists suspect Cro-Magnons sometimes married (okay, maybe they didn't have a licence) _____________, at least in Europe and Asia.
  4. According to that great source of scientific information, the Daily Mirror, a fuzzy rhinoceros from Siberia may be the origin of the human belief in ________.
  5. Back in the day, if your neighbour invited you to a flintknapping party, what should you probably bring along?
  6. If your South American Pleistocene ancestors were hunting a Glyptodon, they needed a party. (The thing was about as big as a VW Bug.) What relative of the Glyptodon might you have run over on a road in Texas?
  7. Do you have relatives in Sussex? If so, they might enjoy this. 500,000 years ago, what might they have been doing if an elephant came along?
  8. What is unusual about Britain between 180,000 and 60,000 years ago? (No, the M1 wasn't closed.)
  9. Were your Mesolithic British ancestors cannibals?
  10. Why did Craig Dent of Melbourne, Australia, travel to Cheddar in Somerset?

You want the facts? Click the picture.

Alan Titchmarsh, made up to look like Neanderthal man in 'British Isles: A Natural History', 2004.
Post Quiz and Oddities Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

18.04.16 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A87870667

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more