#27: A Moat Full of Poppies

1 Conversation

This photo comes from the h2g2 Post's collection of submissions to Create's November project. We'll be posting a photo a day for the month of November.

A Moat Full of Poppies

Moat Full of Poppies by Deek.

Back when this event happened, your Post Editor was running around madly trying to find a usable picture of it, with no luck. But Deek made one: and it's super! We'll let him tell it:

This photo was taken at the Tower of London in 2014. It is of the moat being almost filled with ceramic poppies. It was to commemorate the centenary of Britain's involvement in WW1. There were in all 888,247 of them made. Mrs D bought one of them in respect of her uncle Louis who died in France in 1918. (It's the one at the back, third from the right).

For those who don't know, the poppy is a symbol of remembrance for the Great War. The intense fighting in that war churned up fields, causing a sudden growth of wildflowers in some places. The contrast between the death and destruction and the hope represented by the flowers inspired a soldier to write the famous poem.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.


John McCrae, 1915
Pics from a Small Planet Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

Deek


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87897721

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more