30 Hours in Hooverville: A Novel Experiment

32 Conversations

30 Hours in Hooverville: A Novel Experiment (Preview)

30 Hours in Hooverville, Hooverville as seen from beside the jewellery store clock

The 2019 Post NaJoPoMo project will be a group experiment in novel-writing, a chapter at a time. The title: '30 Hours in Hooverville'. The project is described below.

  • Each participant will play one (1), and only one (1) character.
  • Each participant will write not fewer than 300, and absolutely not more than 1000 words in their daily post. Each post will describe what their character is doing in Hooverville at the particular hour designated by the day of the month we're on at the time. For example, the story will begin at midnight in Hooverville, so 1 November will take place between midnight and 1 am.
  • Each day, the gamemaster (Post Editor) will post one Happening in Hooverville. For example, the clock may strike the correct time. Or the incorrect time. Or a giant bird may steal the mayor's toupee. Whatever. Your characters may or may not react to this information. It's up to them. In fact, everything they do is up to them.
  • You may not move anybody else's character around. You may observe them. You may make a play date with another participant to have a conversation, and post that conversation in the thread for that day. It's up to you.
  • As all of our writers are differently mentated, this must be said: you may not contradict another writer's personal reality, just as they may not contradict yours. For instance, if one writer's character is talking to space aliens, and your character, as is their right, doesn't believe in them, you may not write that the other writer's character is certifiably insane. In Hooverville, as in RL, multiple realities are possible.

What will we end up with? Who knows? Maybe a formula for peace, love, and understanding. Also, possibly, a virtual riot. Let the games begin! Sign up to be assigned a character (Post Editor's choice in order to make this fair. The Post Editor knows you people and promises not to give you anything you'd really hate.)

Maps

The Town of Hooverville

  1. Town Hall
  2. First Church of Nighthoover
  3. Waffelhaus
  4. Fire House
  5. Police station
  6. River Pirates' Inn
  7. Nose'n'Book Book Shop and Emporium
  8. No-Bull House China Shop
  9. Office of the Hooverville Honker
  10. Post Office

For more locations, use this map from the Library of Congress and your imagination.

Map of area:

The Town of Hooverville

For the directionally challenged (like the Editor): North is 'up' on both maps.

Hooverville Cast List

The list of characters can be found here Join them as they spend a day and some in the magical town.

Ramblin' Rhodes by FWRWaffelhaus by TavaronWlad the Organ Player by DG
Dmitri Gheorgheni Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

Create

14.10.19 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A87951720

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more