The h2g2 Post 15.03.21

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 15th March 2021

Second Star to the Right,
and Straight on Till Morning

A NASA star map used by Apollo 11.

We need different maps for different situations. The one above was used by NASA astronauts for the Apollo 11 mission. No matter how good the map is, the usefulness depends a lot on our personal literacy: the ability to read maps is way underrated.

Our contributors have done a bang-up job of map-reading this week.

You'll see: we've been around the globe again, and rooting in the attic, and exploring with our imaginations. Here are some of the things we've come up with:
    Dwarf Chameleon Baby by Ruan Strander
  • Natural Beauty. Willem and his friend Ruan were sneaking around after dark peeking at these tiny chameleons. We get to see them, too. We also get a first glimpse of the Hanglip Forest (more to come!). Meanwhile in Europe, there are signs of spring. In Pennsylvania, I drive over some history. From England come sunrises and moonrises, while Scotland's landscape continues to delight.
  • Much creativity. There are two chilling scifi stories. I tackle Dr Seuss, and wrestle him to the ground. (I've been wanting to do this since I was 10.) Solnushka visits an astonishing art museum. We dip into the archives and find a ballet dancer who walks like an Egyptian; meanwhile, PT Barnum dredges up a childhood memory that will make you laugh.
  • Humour and Tall Tales. Bluebottle's plot keeps thickening. Desideria's friend muses. Martin Hyde keeps swashing and buckling. Take a peek at the cartoons. Let Awix explain about the big butterfly.


We'll be back next week with more Stuff. (Send more Stuff!) Keep warm, stay safe, and remember: the rain (and snow!) fall on the just, the unjust, and small, aggravated dogs. So be quiet, Lola.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Mailbox
Write the Post at:
postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com
Tweet at the Post and Edited Guide:
@h2g2_Guide



Quote of the Week: Had a dream that I was at a conference (irl! truly fantastical) and someone gave a paper that included the sentence 'Queer studies is a freezer, and we are the frozen headless fish.' No, I don’t know what it means either.

Echomikeromeo

Create March 2021 by Freewayriding
March 2021 Create Challenge:
Heroic Humans


Video Extra: Peekaboo


NATURAL HORIZONS
Transvaal Dwarf Chameleon

Transvaal Dwarf Chameleon by Willem


MENTAL LANDSCAPES

SIGHTS AND SOUNDS

Driving on History

Corsica, Pennsylvania.

CREATIVE STUFF



Saving the World
Hero Medal by FWR.

GOOD FOR A LAUGH
STORY TELLERS


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88012929

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more