Iglesia de San Juan Bautista de Arucas

1 Conversation

Iglesia de San Juan Bautista de Arucas

Iglesia de San Juan Bautista de Arucas, by FWR.Iglesia de San Juan Bautista de Arucas, by FWR.

The Iglesia de San Juan Bautista dominates the beautiful old-town of Arucas in the North of Gran Canaria.

Often erroneously referred to as the 'Basilica of Arucas' due to its scale, the Church of John the Baptist is not actually a cathedral.

The original parish Church on the site dated back to 1515, but as the town boomed due to sugarcane and cochineal production, it was deemed too small for the growing Catholic congregation.

In 1909 the church was begun. Designed by Manuel Vega i March (1871 - 1931), a student of Antonio Gaudi, the neo-gothic style is reminiscent of churches in Barcelona.

Iglesia de San Juan Bautista de Arucas, by FWR.Iglesia de San Juan Bautista de Arucas, by FWR.

The magnificent building uses local black basalt stone and was constructed by local artisans. Most of the work was done entirely by hand.

The doors, windows, and statuary were designed and made by some of Spain's finest craftsmen. The stained glass is also of a very fine quality, the Rose Window dominates the upper part of the church.

The building was finished in 1977 and admission is free to visitors.

Various statues and artworks surround the church. There is
also the Parque Municipal across the square which is a beautifully landscaped little park providing scented walks beneath the jacaranda trees. Arucas is known locally as the 'town of stone and flowers.'

Wherever you wander through the quaint, narrow, streets of the old town, the imposing church can be seen over the rooftops.

Arucas is also known for the rum factory, but even this industrial complex is overshadowed by the sheer scale of the Iglesia de San Juan Bautista.

This lovely little town with an oversized but beautiful church is well worth a visit if you're holidaying on Gran Canaria.

Iglesia de San Juan Bautista de Arucas, by FWR.Iglesia de San Juan Bautista de Arucas, by FWR.
FWR Archive

FWR

29.05.23 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A88029057

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more