John Ridgway School of Adventure

0 Conversations

John and Marie Christine opened the John Ridgway School of Adventure in 1969. It has become their life’s work. A founding Principle has been to “Leave People and Places better than you find them” and over the past 33 years, some 12,000 people have attended the courses. Teambuilding clients have included: Axa, BBC, Bombardier, BT, Energis, IBM, MMO2, MOD, Schroders.

Activities

  • Abseiling
  • Hill Walking and Mountaineering
  • Orienteering
  • Rock Climbing
  • Improvised Rafting
  • Kayaking
  • Rowing
  • Sailing
  • More information is available on the John Ridgway School of Adventure website

    Contact

    John Ridgway School of Adventure, Ardmore, Rhiconich BY LAIRG, Sutherland, Scotland. IV27 4RB

    Tel: +44 (0)1971 521 229

    A Reflection in 2003 by John Ridgway

    And they said it would never last….

    Looking back (only very briefly, for goodness sake!) 34 years down a rather bumpy road. Why on earth would 12,000 people ever want to come here? The truth must be that at lot of those who came were sent….

    I think that writing books and keeping a diary for forty five years did help me observe things. With precious little self-confidence, I tried to learn from those who came to the school and then I put into practice what I had learned. Adapt or die.

    Marie Christine has been a tower of strength in all this. I’ve just been the figurehead, slimming has been my biggest problem. From the beginning in 1968, we realised the only way we could survive was by working longer than the competition. While others might be at the pictures or down the boozer we’d be grinding along. All those years of six months without a day off, then off to some other God-forsaken place of terror for the hols. Self-employment did allow us to take outrageous risks. Now we’re just boring old farts. It was lucky the competition never showed up.

    Anyway, find out about our latest adventure, we're heading off to the Southern Ocean on the John Ridgway Voyage to Save the Albatross 2003-4

    AIM: TO PREVENT THE NEEDLESS SLAUGHTER OF THE ALBATROSS

    Back to the Contents page


    Bookmark on your Personal Space


    Conversations About This Entry

    There are no Conversations for this Entry

    Entry

    A894602

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Read a random Edited Entry

    Categorised In:


    Written and Edited by

    References

    h2g2 Entries

    External Links

    Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

    Disclaimer

    h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

    Write an Entry

    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

    Write an entry
    Read more