Chicken Curry Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Chicken Curry

1 Conversation

Although perhaps not a curry in the technical sense, it has all the flavour of one without the need for a lot of spice. This is something created by chance one evening, and has proven a firm favourite with this Researcher's girlfriend ever since.

Ingredients for Two

  • 2 Medium chicken breasts, fat removed and cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 1 Medium onion, finely chopped
  • 2 Large garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 green chilli, finely chopped (add more or less according to taste)
  • 1 inch Cube of root ginger, finely chopped
  • Half a tin of chopped tomatoes
  • Fresh coriander
  • Plain yoghurt
  • Single cream
  • Oil for cooking (olive or otherwise)
  • Salt, pepper and sugar

Use your Noggin

Before preparing this or any other food, always ensure that utensils and any other cookware, as well as the cooking surfaces themselves, are clean and germ-free.

Be vigilantly hygienic with your knife, too. Also any work surface, used to prepare the chicken, should be thoroughly wiped before being used again. Raw chicken and fresh vegetables should always be kept apart (except, of course, in the pan).

Method

  1. Heat the oil in a large wok or high-sided frying pan. Over a low heat, fry the chilli, garlic and ginger for a couple of minutes, moving them to keep from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Add the onion and continue to cook for a further five minutes until the onion becomes translucent.

  2. Add the chicken pieces and seasoning, and give it all a good stir. You may need to turn the heat up at this point: you want it to sizzle but not burn, so it's trial-and-error the first time. Those seasoned chefs among you will probably instinctively know. Give it another five minutes until the chicken has whitened, then chuck in the tomatoes and add a pinch of sugar. There is still some debate in the industry as to whether sugar really adds anything to the dish, but put some in anyway.

  3. Chop a good handful of coriander and add to the mix, then adjust the heat to a simmer, and leave it for 15 to 20 minutes, checking and stirring occasionally.

  4. Now add a couple of tablespoons of yoghurt and a good pour of cream (adjust these measures according to your preferred calorie intake) and stir in. You may have noticed that the mixture has gone pink - don't worry - it will cook through and go orange very soon. Add some more seasoning and more coriander if desired and give it another five or ten minutes to bubble away and become a nicer colour. Check to see if the chicken is cooked. If it is, you're ready to go!

  5. Serve with mixed wild and basmati rice, and some nice fresh rocket leaves. Garnish with fresh coriander and tuck in.

Danger!

If you're not old/adept enough to use the cooker, then please don't. Good food is really not worth the injury. Most of the time.

Further Reading

If you like curry and other spicy food, and let's face it, who doesn't, then check out these other Edited Entries.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A897889

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more