A Conversation for Movie News from Robbie Stamp

wrong medium?

Post 1

BryceColluphid

I really don't see how one can make the Guide into a movie. The best parts of the Guide are snippets like "the Universe- some facts to help you live in it ", the proof for the nonexistence of God, the longest and most destructive party ever, etc. It makes for great reading, but the best parts are not active parts. I suspect it might be a dull movie, especially for those who are not familiar with the books. "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" might be doable, though.


wrong medium?

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

But remember, Hitchhiker started out as a Radio Show. It was best in that medium.


wrong medium?

Post 3

Andrea Ortiz...used to want a coffeeshop...now I want a restaurant

And remember that it is from the actual direction of Douglas Adams...the man who would best know how to make it a movie.


wrong medium?

Post 4

Pandapig

Don't see why you couldn't make a decent movie out of it. The TV series was OK apart from the fact that it was done on a Dr. Who-sized budget and consequently the special effects were laughable.

I agree with the poster on another thread who said that Terry Gilliam would be the best director you could find for it.


wrong medium?

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

Terry Gilliam's style of humour is too visual - I don't think he'd be in tune with Douglas Adams's verbal style.


wrong medium?

Post 6

Pandapig

But some of the best parts of the TV series were the 'computer animations' of Guide entries. I reckon Terry Gilliam could have a good deal of fun with those! Did you have an alternative director in mind?


wrong medium?

Post 7

Abi

I have to say I am happy with the team they have chosen, I have loved all their work so far, particularly the video for Blur's 'Coffee and TV'.


wrong medium?

Post 8

Chronicargonaut

I agree, and they also made me smile with the Monkey adverts. Didn't make me go out and buy ITV Digital, thank Odin.smiley - biggrin


wrong medium?

Post 9

BryceColluphid

Well, maybe I just don't have much imagination. Plus, I never heard the Radio Show. I will look forward to seeing the movie at any rate...


wrong medium?

Post 10

Researcher 234069

Just a piece of advice from a fellow Hitchhiker fan......If you can get a copy of the radio show...By alllllllll Means do it. I swear you'll wonder what took you so long. It's brilliantly done. It is also ,as If I need to say this, Hilarious.

-Agent1966


wrong medium?

Post 11

BryceColluphid

Any idea where I might find a copy of the radio show?


wrong medium?

Post 12

Old Uncle Zarniwoop

Probably most shops that have a good Tape section will have a copy.


wrong medium?

Post 13

Mart2362

I agree about Dirk Gently. Though I see it very definately as a BBC 6 part series - along the lines of their production of "Day of the Triffids" many years ago - with John Duttine" in the main role I believe.
It seems to me Dirk Gently is a classic BBC TV character. A terrific blend of humour, cleverness, mystery and edginess.
Who would you like to see play Dirk?


wrong medium?

Post 14

BryceColluphid

I don't know enough British actors to even have an opinion on who should play Dirk. Maybe John Cleese ? as far as American actors go, if you wanted to emphasize the silliness of the character you could go with Jim Carrey. But i think the best would be the actor who played Dwayne's friend on Better Off Dead- I can't remember his name...


wrong medium?

Post 15

J. Nigel Aalst

Definitely not John Cleese. Maybe John Cleese in his youth, although even at his creepiest in some of the early Python sketches, I still think he was too tall and not quite right. These days he's a bit too old, and I don't think he could pull off that disheveled a character.

I don't, however, have a really good choice. I would see Robbie Coltrane as Thor, though, in 'Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul.'


wrong medium?

Post 16

Mart2362

Definately agree... not John Cleese. (love him - but not right as Dirk Gently... gently is a short "rotund" character.

How aboiut the guy from the fast show who plays Ralph in "ted & Ralph" (thats the lord, not the gardener). he might be able to give it the right mix of comis-ness and mystery.


wrong medium?

Post 17

Chronicargonaut

Charlie Higson. I thought Martin Clunes would be a good choice.


wrong medium?

Post 18

BryceColluphid

By the way, the American actor I thought would be good as Dirk is named Curtis Armstrong,


wrong medium?

Post 19

Researcher 234069

Sorry to take so long to reply. I got my copies off of Usenet. Viva' La Broadband!!!

Keep an Eye on Ebay. You'd be surprised how much DNA stuff is traded there.

-agent1966


wrong medium?

Post 20

Big Red

Yes! Tim Burton. I think he would be brillians.


Key: Complain about this post