Doodle Analysis.

10 Conversations

First off, it's probably a good idea to say what exactly a doodle is. Well, a doodle can be anything, anywhere...from that tiny little flower scrawled in the corner of the page, to the complex masterpiece that you drew whilst on the phone. A doodle can be anything. Abstract though they may be, doodles can reveal a lot about a persons temperment and mood and that time.

Doodles are expressions of the subconscious mind.

Doodles, like dreams, involve a form of picture language, and it is the interpretation of these pictures that reveal their meanings. There are several factors to be taken into account though, besides the doodle itself.

The size and position of the doodle on the page also have a meaning which contributes to the overall meaning of the doodle. For example, if you were to draw a very large doodle in the centre of the page, then this would indicate how important you wold like your role in ife to be. However, if you doodle in the margin or corners of a page, you would be revealed as a quiet individual. One who doesn't necessarily want to stand out in a crowd.

The starting point of a doodle can also be relevant.

Those starting on the left and working to the right, are said to be highly significant to the workings of the subconcious. Those that start to the right and work towards the left are more based on logic.

Doodles which are started at the bottom of a page and devlop upwards are the signs of an ambitious personality. More introverted people, will tend to start their doodle in the centre of a piece of paper, work outwards, and then move inwards again.

The intesity of the ink/pencil marks can also indicate the mood of the person. Lighter strokes indicating a good day, but dark, heavy strokes can sometimes signal depression.

Finally, what is probably the most important part of analysing a doodle, is what the doodle is of...

...the A-Z of doodle symbolism...

Arrows:

Arrows indicate a person who is aggressively ambitious.

Boxes:

Boxes are usually drawn by men. Stacked boxes indicates methodical thinking. Closed boxes signify self-centredness, and a desire for privacy. Open boxes may be a reflection of a wish to welcome someone. Alternatively, they may represent a desire to escape from a restrictive situation.

Cats:

Doodles of cats need to be examined carefully. Is it playful in nature, or is it a spiteful/aggressive cat? The nature of the cat indicates it's meaning.

Dots:

Dots forming a pattern or picture are sometimes the doodles of a fragmented personality. They can also indicate an extremem state of anxiety or a lack of stability.

Eyes:

Doodles of eyes are often sign of a wish to be alluring. However, repeatedly doodled eyes may indicate that they feel constantly watched.

Flowers:

Most flowers are doodled by women, and are romantic in nature. Indicating a desire to blossom and be fruitful in life.

Guns:

Doodled guns are a sign of subconscious agression.

Houses:

Houses are one of the most common doodles. Usually drawn by women, they can show how the person feels about their home environment. Clues can be found in whether the front door is open or closed; whether there is smoke coming from a chimney (showing a welcoming fire). An unhappy home is usually represented by asymmetrical structures without windows.

Intricate Patterns:

Very detailed doodles are often drawn by people who have an obsessive nature, and who simply will not let go of their ambitions or loved ones. They are also likely to be jottings of highly introverted people.

Jets:

Aeroplanes of all kinds are said to be evidence of a strong sex drive.

Keys:

A doodled key could mean that you are desperately seeking the means to escape from a claustrophobic situation.

Lips:

Lips usually point to a frustrated sexual desire of some kind. Usually drawn by women.

Mazes:

An intricate maze suggests that you feel that you're in a tight spot. Alternatively, it could be a sign of the need for protection from a threatening element in your life.

Newspaper Headlines:

People who fill in or embellish the letters in newspaper headlines are thought to be the soldiers in life rather than the initiatore.

Oceans:

These doodles are typical of people who spend a lot of time indulging in their imaginatioins, but who rarely put their dreams into practice.

Portraits:

Faces are usually doodled by adolescent girls, seeking to produce an idealized self-portrait. Faces in profile, however, can be a sign of an introverted personality. Comic faces are usually drawn by men, indicating a desire to be the centre of attention.

Question Marks:

These signify a difficult decision, or doubt about your role in life.

Robots:

Doodling a robot is an indication that, that is precisely how you feel: lacking self-assertion and bored with your day-to-day life.

Signatures:

Repeatedly doodling your name is a sign of an identity problem.
These doodles are often done by recently married women in attempt to assure themselves of the'r new surname.

Stars:

Repeated star shapes are often drawn by the irrepressibly romantic.

Trees:

A tree which is doodles without leaves or roots can show how you feel inside: isolated and without strong family ties. A tree which is blowing in the wind may show instability in a relationship.

Umbrella's:

This generally signifies a desire to extend help to a loved one, or to protect yourself from unpleasent outside influences.

Vehicles:

Doodles of luxury cars usually represent a desire for the material things in life. A doodled train, however, signifies someone who is more likely to proceed with caution, but is determined to get there in the end.

Webs:

These can symbolize a sense of being trapped, or a desire to entice someone into a particulaer relationship/situation.

Yachts:

These usually represent a wish to escape from restricting circumstances.

Zigzags:

This repeated pattern may signal a need for comfort, or a need to regress to childhood in order to escape from the harsh everyday reality.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A256466

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more