A Conversation for The h2g2 Hitchhikers Movie News Page

One thing I didn't get....

Post 1

Baconlefeets

When Arthur, Ford, Zaphod & Trillian are all sat eating and the mice are trying to steal Arthurs brain, the mice get squashed but then turn into the Magratheans...

Were the mice Magratheans in the book? I can't remember anything about thatsmiley - doh


One thing I didn't get....

Post 2

guina

as far as i can remember they were from a different universe or dimention...


One thing I didn't get....

Post 3

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

The Mice were never Magratheans, in the book, the series or the film. They were the protrusions into our universe of the pan-dimensional beings who built Deep Thought and who then commissioned the Magratheans to build the earth.


One thing I didn't get....

Post 4

Baconlefeets

So the two kids in the film, who ask Deep Thought the question aren't Magratheans?


One thing I didn't get....

Post 5

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

No.


One thing I didn't get....

Post 6

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

It made no sense to me that the most intelligent people of the race of pan-dimensional beings were children. OK, they might have been, but they would not have had the know-how to build Deep Thought. Unless they were chosen as mascots, of course, or as symbols of innocence.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


One thing I didn't get....

Post 7

Athena, Muse of Philosophy -1+7+9*(3+0!)+0=42

What you have to remember about pan-dimensional beings is that they live in parallel universes. What you have to remember about parallel universes is that they aren't parallel and that they aren't, strictly speaking, universes either.

To arrive in one and even be certain of which end was up would be doing pretty well. To arrive there and start telling the inhabitants that they resemble the people of your minuscule home planet, and their smartest and best resemble your children, and are therefore incapable of doing any of the deep things they are doing, would probably not be a good idea.

Also you may have noticed that in 7 and a half million years the only visible difference in the "children" was their hair color, which further proves that things work rather differently in their universe.


One thing I didn't get....

Post 8

The Psycho Chicken -- self respect intact

Actually it made every sense to me that the most intelligent of the pan dimensional beings were children. I've long believed that people get stupider as they grow up, which is why I largely opted out of the entire process smiley - tongueout

smiley - chick


One thing I didn't get....

Post 9

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Yes and no. I think that there are two questions here - what is possible and what happens generally in practice. I think that people are like plants, that while they're green, they're still growing. Once they stop learning (think they know it all / get bored with the subject and just want to have a good time / are soured by life's experiences and the baggage they've collected - then they tend to get narrow in focus and start to whither. You can see people who haven't had a new idea in decades!

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


One thing I didn't get....

Post 10

egon

"It made no sense to me that the most intelligent people of the race of pan-dimensional beings were children."

And it made sense that they were mice? The point of it is surely that they choose their own appearance- and with the fact that they weren;'t human, who's to say they were children anyway?


One thing I didn't get....

Post 11

I'm not really here

I agree, they weren't children. They clearly aged between asking the question and hearing the answer, yet they didn't 'grow up' at all in over 7 million years!


One thing I didn't get....

Post 12

Jim Lynn

Unless the second time they were the ancestors of the previous two (as they are in the book).


One thing I didn't get....

Post 13

I'm not really here

Or clones?


One thing I didn't get....

Post 14

starwarsmaniac

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy episode two: attack of the parallel universe inhabiting beings! smiley - biggrinsmiley - dohsmiley - tongueoutsmiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


One thing I didn't get....

Post 15

starwarsmaniac

i almost forgot smiley - chick!


One thing I didn't get....

Post 16

You can call me TC

smiley - mousesmiley - esuom

"We're watching you!... and we're following this thread very carefully!"


Key: Complain about this post