Photo Competition Finalist: The Statue of Liberty

1 Conversation

The Statue of Liberty, viewed from a distance
The Statue of Liberty, by Michelle Scott, Dundee.
The photograph was taken from the top of the World Trade Centre in October 2000, during a year I spent in New Jersey. I sent the photo because I think its pretty unique and since the Towers aren't there anymore it can't be duplicated. The view from the top of the WTC was amazing, the sunlight on the water looked great and I really like the Statue of Liberty.

When we were deciding on the shortlist of 10 final photographs, one of the 'whittling-down' criteria we decided to pick was 'can this shot ever be recaptured?' - or in other words, how unique or different was the picture. This shot - of the statue of Liberty from the top of the World Trade Center in New York - can now obviously never be taken again. We especially liked the shafts of light burning down through the ominous storm clouds gathering over the water, a sign of hope for the future in the face of imminent threat, perhaps.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A2813032

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more