The Mars Society on h2g2

12 Conversations

Welcome to The Mars Society on h2g2 - To Explore and Settle the New World. Image courtesy Mars Society member Jon Wiley.


Welcome to the Mars Society - on h2g21

The Purpose of the Mars Society


To further the goal of the exploration and settlement of the Red Planet. This will be done by:


  • Broad public outreach to instill the vision of pioneering Mars.

  • Support of ever more aggressive government funded Mars exploration programs around the world.

  • Conducting Mars exploration on a private basis.


Starting small, with hitchhiker payloads on government funded missions, we intend to use the credibility that such activity will engender to mobilize larger resources that will enable stand-alone private robotic missions and ultimately human exploration.

Mars News

Evidence of Ancient Lakes and Seas on Mars Announced

SpaceRef News: Evidence of Ancient Lakes and Seas on Mars Announced

Mars Society News

Convention 2001 @ Stanford University

4th International Mars Society Convention Slated for Stanford University


The Mars Society will hold the fourth annual convention at Stanford University, in Stanford, California, August 23 - 26, 2001. Dr. Bruce Lusignan, Mars Society steering committee member and Stanford professor, will act as our sponsor on campus. Sam Burbank and the Northern California chapter of the Mars Society have volunteered to help coordinate the event.

Useful Links

Recommended Reading

Fiction

  • The Martian Race - Gregory Benford
  • The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Robert Heinlein

Non-Fiction

  • The Case for Mars - Robert Zubrin
  • Entering Space - Robert Zubrin

Technical

  • An Introduction to the Mathematics and Methods of Astrodynamics - Richard H. Battin

Things to do on this page


This is an ongoing dynamic page! This list shows you the things that will happen on this page, but I haven't had time to do them yet.


If you have any suggestions or comments, please start or join a conversation below!


  • Expand the reading list.

  • Add more background info about the Mars Society (and Robert Zubrin in particular).

  • Add a 'members' list (when we have some!).

  • Add a section about the Mars Research Station in Devon Island.

  • Add some stuff about what projects are ongoing.

  • Add a picture of the Martian Flag, and a description of why it is that design.
1Note that h2g2 (and this page in particular) is not affiliated with the Mars Society. Any statements or opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of the Mars Society. For more information on the Mars Society, please visit their homepage: http://www.marssociety.org

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A487965

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more