A Conversation for The Clink Prison Museum, Clink Street, London

A623864 - The Clink Prison Museum, Clink Street, London

Post 1

Nockers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A623864

My first entry presented for peer review. Any comments appreciated.


A623864 - The Clink Prison Museum, Clink Street, London

Post 2

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

Very, very nice. Impressive first entry...

just a couple of tiny nitpicks:
"The prisoner were treated very badly" - should be prisoners
"His Act Against Vagabonds" - I think perhaps The King's would be clearer here.

otherwise nice

I'm just wondering, personally, though - was this the first prison of it's kind, or was it modelled on others? Was it different in any special ways from other prisons?

Swiv


A623864 - The Clink Prison Museum, Clink Street, London

Post 3

Witty Ditty

I like this - well done smiley - ok

Is this where the term 'they're in the clink' (meaning they're in jail) comes from?

Stay smiley - cool,
WD


A623864 - The Clink Prison Museum, Clink Street, London

Post 4

HappyDude

Liked it, but here are a few suggestions

“The building of a chapel and mansion at Southwark was begun in 1107 by the current Bishop of Winchester,” change to “The building of a chapel and mansion at Southwark was begun in 1107 by the then current Bishop of Winchester,”

“as it was about this time that the whorehouses were regulated” might be worth adding a footnote that the Bishop of Winchester was responsible for the regulation of brothels, & change “whorehouses” to “brothels”.

In the “Royal Justice” section, it might be worth mentioning that although the laws at this time were harsh they were poorly enforced.


smiley - smiley


A623864 - The Clink Prison Museum, Clink Street, London

Post 5

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Very good, Arthur.
smiley - run


A623864 - The Clink Prison Museum, Clink Street, London

Post 6

Nockers

Thanks for your comments, I've changed some of the wording, including adding a sentence about the phrase "in the clink". I'd meant to put it in, and forgotten.

Prisons in the middle ages where all like this, but this was the earliest.


Thread Moved

Post 7

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review' to 'The Clink Prison Museum, Clink Street, London'.

This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review Forum because your entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

You can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.h2g2.com/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!


Thread Moved

Post 8

Witty Ditty

Congrats smiley - ok

smiley - bubbly

Stay smiley - cool,
WD


Thread Moved

Post 9

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - bubblyArthur smiley - smiley


Thread Moved

Post 10

Nockers

Thanks very much whoever recommended this so quickly.


Thread Moved

Post 11

Nockers

Thanks very much whoever recommended this so quickly.


Thread Moved

Post 12

HappyDude

*burp*smiley - winkeye


Thread Moved

Post 13

Frankie Roberto

I happened to stumble across this whilst wandering around London a year or so ago. We went inside and had a look around, it's very good. Highlights include being able to 'try on' the metal boot contraption towards the end (the metal boot used to be filled with hot oil as a punishment apparantly). You can also test for weight the ball-and-chain shackle that you sometimes see in old prison movies. The ball is incredibly heavily, so you wouldn't be able to go anywhere fast with it...

A sneaky point: the exit to the museum goes straight out onto the street (it's the door around the corner to the right of the entrance). If you waited for someone to come out, you could sneak in for free... smiley - winkeye (Though of course I would never do this)


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Clink Prison Museum, Clink Street, London

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more