A Conversation for h2g2 Running Club

Training

Post 1

Pastey

Here's one for everyone.

Last Sunday I did the Manchester 10k, not very well but I did it. The thing is, I really didn't train much this year and so it's only today, four days later, that my legs have stopped hurting. They were fine on the day, didn't even feel tired (too much) but not long after the run they started to ache.
Plus, during the run I kept running out of breath/energy and had to walk for a little bit until I could run again.

Next year, I want to be able to run all the way around the 10k and not to feel quite so decrepit afterwards.

Previous years I managed to do some training, but I don't know if it was right or even helpful. So what sort of training should I look into doing, to do it properly?


Training

Post 2

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

There is a bridge to 10k program, similar to the couch to 5k one that helps you to extend your runs.

Basically though, they are structured programs of intervals, run/walk/run where you gradually extend the runs and decrease the walks. I should really do some intervals where I run fast/run slow/run fast/ to increase my speed a bit. Must set that up on my GPS watch actually, is on my list of Things To Do.

Also, you could look at doing fartlek runs - comedy name but the same principle - instead of time or specific distances to run (or run faster) you pick landmarks - fast as I can to the next tree, then slow trot to that telegraph pole, then fast run to the end of this road, etc.


Training

Post 3

Pastey

So, given that I can usually manage about 2k without feeling tired/out of breath, how far do you think I should try? 1k, stroll, 1k, stroll, etc?

And how often should I try?


Training

Post 4

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

I wasn't sure how close you were to doing 5k, but it sounds like you probably want to start about halfway through the c25k program. Z has been doing it so he might be able to suggest which week to start on, but if you can get the program off the web then you should be able to scan through and find which week you think you'd be able to comfortably do and start on the next one. I think it has you running three or four times a week.

How long does it take you to run 1k, or 2k? A lot of the programs aim to get you to running for 30 minutes which should get you to cover 5 k in half an hour eventually.

You can get the podcasts here:
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/get-running-with-couch-to-5k.aspx

and the plan is here:
http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/moxiebin/bm_tools.cgi?print=181;s=2_3;site=1


Training

Post 5

Pastey

You can see my runs here: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/user/375813

I can (usually) run into work (downhill) and get about 4k in about 20 mins.


Training

Post 6

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

It looks like you did 4.13 miles in 42 minutes on sunday, which isn't bad at all, only just over 10 minute miles! I think you need to look at the training plans for bridge to 10k and see if you can manage those - I think they start with 20mins running but not sure. That would probably be the right level rather than the c25k ones by the sound of it.


Training

Post 7

Z

I'm a big fan of the Bluefin apps programme personally I love the GPS feature, I love knowing my pace, and comparing how I've done to how I did in the past. I also rather like the fact I've set it to shame me on facebook if I haven't done so well.


Training

Post 8

Pastey

The Endomondo app is worth looking at. GPS tracking, Facebook shaming, and Pep Talks. It tells you how long you kilometers were, but also allows your friends to send you messages while you're out which it then reads out to you.


Training

Post 9

Z

That's a good one. I did my first 5k distance run, (where the aim was to run 5k, not to run for a specific time), and I am really pleased to say it took, 35 minutes 13 seconds. I feel that's a 'respectable time for a first go for a fat person at a fun run'. The race is on the 24th of June, so I've got 20 days to shave a bit more off that time.

Ok, how often should I be training at this stage? Is every day too often? Can I cycle to work on my non-training days?


Training

Post 10

Pastey

It's a very good time Z! Seriously, very well done!!!smiley - cheers

In fact, you've inspired me to go out for a run myself this morning. Hopefully the park won't be too busy yet as everyone will be nursing hangovers smiley - biggrin


Training

Post 11

Z

Ooh thank you. I really have no idea what a respectable time is. I have a fear of turning up for the run and everyone else being super-elite atheltes, and I'm the only fat person their. That said the entry form had a reduced rate for under 5s and dogs.


Training

Post 12

Pastey

I manage to do 10k in 1hr 9mins. When I run 5k, it's in about 28mins.

And I'm not the slowest by a long way. 35mins for 5k is very respectable!


Training

Post 13

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

That is a great time Z! My not-a-good-runs are not much faster than that even after all this time so well done!

I managed to run while on holiday, to try to keep some semblance of fitness, but sadly that didn't make much of a dent in the mountains of food I managed to inhale while I was there. Will see what the extra half stone has done to my time when I have a proper run tomorrow. I did one on saturday after getting back at 3am, didn't even wear my GPS watch as didn't want to know the time exactly - I know the distance as was a familiar route...


Key: Complain about this post