h2g2 Caption Challenge: Diver Dieter

1 Conversation

Diver Dieter

German atmospheric diving suit from 1939

If you take a stroll along the Hampshire coast at Stokes Bay, and you care not to look across the water to the Isle of Wight, you might run into this chap.

He's an exhibit of the Historical Diving Society's museum, which is housed in No 2 Battery, one of a line of Victorian coastal fortifications built to protect the approaches to Portsmouth Harbour.

This is a German atmospheric diving suit, built by Neufeldt and Kuhnke in 1939. These suits allowed the occupant to remain at normal atmospheric pressure during the dive. The information board says that this design was of limited practical use, as the joints leaked in shallow water and seized up at depth, however one was successfully used to recover silver and gold from the wreck of SS Egypt which sank off Lishant, France in 1922.

Add captions at will!

The Literary Corner Archive

Icy North

15.05.17 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A87888721

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more