Droning On

1 Conversation

Droning On

The Fairy007 in action

The other day, three generations of experts showed up at the western Post Office. While my brother-in-law and nephew worked on the plumbing, my great-nephew, Nicola Tesla Hoggett, carried out his promise to help me learn to fly a drone.

The drone is actually a minidrone: a Fairy007, to be exact, billed as 'the world's smallest drone'. Fortunately, it weighs far less than the 250 grams required for registration with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). I don't think an FAA number would fit on the side of the drone. Anyway, I'm a lousy pilot, and was glad for the help.

The first thing N.T. did was to 'recalibrate the accelerometer'. At least, that's what I think he said. As far as I'm concerned, he could have been recalibrating the lateral sensor array. I left him to it while I fetched supplies for the plumbing team. When I came back, N.T. had the tiny aerial menace humming.

We decided to launch it using the centre of a fidget spinner as a launch pad. The drone is so small, the fidget spinner can be spinning at the same time. This gave us a chance for photo ops. It performed satisfactorily. Molly went and hid, but Lola the Doglet was unconcerned – even when the dronelet landed on her back. She just shook it off.

Technology is making great advances these days: thankfully, we have the younger generation to explain it to all of us from the Dark Ages.

DroneDrone
DroneDrone
DroneDrone

Dmitri Gheorgheni Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

08.01.18 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A87902201

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more