Jazz Babies Concert #5: The Song Pusher

1 Conversation

Jazz Babies Concert #5: The Song Pusher

Suzie Q Ferguson, Song Pusher.
Meet me in Dreamland,

Sweet dreamy Dreamland,

There let my dreams come true.

Song pushing wasn't illegal, although maybe it should have been. 'Song pluggers' sometimes organised events that look a lot like those flash mob videos you see on Youtube, where people break out into pretend-'accidental' music performances. The idea was to popularise a song and make it a hit. Remember, they didn't have radio until 1920.

In this video, Suzie Q Ferguson, the world's most terrible tour guide, goes back in a time machine and gets a job as a sheet music demonstrator in a shop. Sheet music demonstrators played the song for you, so you could decide whether to spent 10 cents on the music. Sight-reading, also a skill.

Sheet music demonstrating was an honourable profession, and often the stepping-stone to greater things. Some remarkable people worked as sheet music demonstrators: George Gershwin, Sigmund Romberg, Jean Schwartz, composer of A Yankee Circus on Mars... Irving Berlin was a song plugger, but he couldn't have been a sheet music demonstrator: he could read a note of music, and played everything in the key of F-sharp. (He used a transposing piano.)

Watch how Suzie finesses the situation with typical 21st-century insouciance. It would help if you practised more and tweeted less, Suzie.

Click here for the video, or watch the embedded version in your Pliny-skin page.


Dmitri Gheorgheni Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

18.02.19 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A87930426

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more