Video: The Science Fiction Story the Censors Wouldn't Let You See

1 Conversation

The Science Fiction Story the Censors Wouldn't Let You See

An unusual thing happened to a video I intended to embed on h2g2: Youtube moderated it. They left the video up, but it is 'age restricted'. That means, if you click on that link, you must be 18 or over to watch it. Fair enough. It's a dark little science fiction story about the possible confluence of hell and history, and it wasn't meant for children. I'm happy for Youtube to protect the younger folk.

I was worried, though, that the artificial intelligence guarding everyone's sensibilities was offended by the Nazis. But I'd made a Remembrance Day video the day before, and it had Nazis in it. Couldn't be that. I said to FWR, 'I don't think they would have minded zombies, either.'

FWR, who is smart about these things, pointed out the problem. See if you can spot it in the comic-book version below.

There's a lot to think about these days.

Anyway, the point of this story was that I was wondering about the consequences of historical involvement. What would happen if the final judgement were based on making you relive your worst actions without being able to change them? Rather like Marley's Ghost, who said, 'I wear the chains I forged in life.' It was really intended as that sort of meditation, and is offered here in that spirit. And, of course, you know I'm not just talking about Nazis, right? They're the ones I had pictures of, courtesy of the National Archives and Records Administration, and the OSS.

People trapped in a nightmare of their own making
Create Challenge Archive

Dmitri Gheorgheni

16.11.20 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A88004784

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more