This is the Message Centre for Gnomon - time to move on

The Guide

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

I bought a wonderful book while in the States over Christmas. "Why Did it Have to be Snakes? From Science to the Supernatural, the Many Mysteries of Indiana Jones". It goes through all the films except for the very recent one, and examines things in them to see if they are possible, likely, ridiculous or otherwise. It's written in an amusing tone and treats everything equally, whether it is the type of spiders you'd find in a South American tomb, or the ability of Thuggee priests to rip a victim's heart from their body.

There's a section on Grave Robbers in it, and it goes into great detail about Belzoni, the greatest of the Egyptian Tomb Raider Archaeologists. A very good account of Belzoni, in fact. Remarkably similar to the one I wrote in 2007 for h2g2. A quick thumb through the bibliography at the end of the book, and ...

Yes, my Belzoni Entry was one of the three sources used for the section on Belzoni!

Fame at last.smiley - biggrin

The Guide

Post 2

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

smiley - wow how coooool is that smiley - envysmiley - run

The Guide

Post 3

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

smiley - wow Can I have your autograph? smiley - biro

smiley - magic

The Guide

Post 4

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

smiley - applause

The Guide

Post 5

pailaway - (an utterly gratuitous link in the evolutionary chain)

smiley - wow

Which is better - that the author found your entry and included it in his book, or that you read the book and found your entry there?

Congratulations smiley - applause

The Guide

Post 6

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Oooh, I subbed those!smiley - wow

smiley - bubblyThat's great - did they reference "you" (Gnomon) or just general "h2g2"?

smiley - applausesmiley - booksmiley - biro

The Guide

Post 7

Icy North

Well done! smiley - applause

I'm still waiting for someone to write the authoritative guide to Futtocks. smiley - erm

The Guide

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

They referenced the entry with

Life the Universe and Everything as the names of the site
Belzoni: Tomb Raider and Archaeologist Part 3 as the name of the entry
The full URL to the entry
The date on which they looked at the page.

I hadn't ever thought of this last one, but I can see it is important as the web changes all the time.

The Guide

Post 9

Gnomon - time to move on

I haven't finished the book yet, so if Indiana Jones is involved with futtocks later, I'll let you know.

The Guide

Post 10

Icy North

Gnomon,

I've just found a reference to one of your entries in an academic journal (I found quite a few others too, so I'll compile a list).

Your "How to Play the Recorder" entry is referenced in the following journal:

General Music Today, Spring 2006, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p33-35

Would you like me to e-mail the article to you?

smiley - cheers Icy

The Guide

Post 11

Gnomon - time to move on

No, that's OK.

The Guide

Post 12

Icy North

A list of academic references I've found: A46972182

(Still searching - maybe Futtocks will appear one day)

smiley - cheers Icy

The Guide

Post 13

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Oh, and with the giving the 'date of page access', that is as far as I'm concerned pretty-much standard practise for any* information accessed off the internet and sitated in a accademic contex; Obviously the internet ain't as established as the referenceing system to books and other hard print jorunal articles. Strictly speaking the most authoritive vies on sitating internet resources that I've seen suggests that this (giving the dat epage accessed), shoudl also be done aor any peer reviewed, journal articles access online as opposed to accesssing a print hard copy. Which makes a lot of sense; I certainly remember reading peer reviewed scienticic articles in big journals liek the lancet etc., and then when I came back to them a few weeks, or months later, corrections and ammendments would have been made to the onlien article, so depending when you'd accessed that article the exact* text of what your reading would be differnt smiley - erm
smiley - geek

The Guide

Post 14

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

smiley - ta to Icy. I've just learnt what futtocks are. Patrick O'Brian often has Captain Aubrey clapping an arm around the futtock shrouds. I've got through 21 of his books largely by ignoring all the nautical terminology.

And congrats to Gnomon. In RL I know the thrill of coming across a reference to oneself. Even more thrilling, I bet, to find one in an unexpected place.

The Guide

Post 15

Elentari

Wow, that must have been quite a thrill! Congratulations!

The Guide

Post 16

aka Bel - A87832164

That's great, Gnomon. smiley - magic

The Guide

Post 17

Websailor

That's great Gnomon, and it goes to show the value placed upon h2g2 entries. Nice one.

Websailor smiley - dragon

The Guide

Post 18

FordsTowel

Kudos and Congrats!

smiley - cheers

smiley - towel

The Guide

Post 19

You can call me TC

I hope the BBC aren't getting royalties for it when you did all the work.

The Guide

Post 20

Fizzymouse- no place like home

smiley - cool

smiley - applause

smiley - mouse

Key: Complain about this post