A Conversation for Christopher Reeve - 'Superman' and Real-life Hero

Christopher Reeve /Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy connection

Post 1

gianisiri

A Christopher Reeve /Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy connection

Christopher Reeve was a truly warm generous person:
In 1979 the SF World Con was in Brighton England. One of the Superman Movies was nominated for a Hugo as best SF Media. Another nominee was The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. I and many other Yankees attended that World Con. Those of us from the US knew about the Superman movie. When we'd filled out our ballots we'd seen the name 'The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy.' but we didn't know what it was 'cause it hadn't been available outside the UK. When all us Yanks got to Brighton we went to function rooms playing tapes of The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. and we all went "This is fantastic! funny! the best! Damn, if we'd only known about this we'd have voted for it over Superman, no question!"
It was the scandal of the Con. Every US attendee and voter I met felt the same way:that a terrible mistake had been made. Superman was very good, but The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy was the best. Us Yanks out numbered the UK fans and we had skewed the ballot out of ignorance.
Christopher Reeve attended that WorldCon to accept the Hugo if his movie won.
Superman won. Christopher Reeve mounted the podium and accepted the Hugo for his film. He thanked everybody but he ended by saying(from where I was I think he nodded to Douglas Adams)and said,"But we all know who really should have won this."
The room went nuts.


Key: Complain about this post

Christopher Reeve /Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy connection

More Conversations for Christopher Reeve - 'Superman' and Real-life Hero

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more