A Conversation for Ivor Cutler - Writer and Humourist

Ah! Dear Ivor.

Post 1

Uncle Ghengis

What an amazing poet he is. It's good to see him recognised here on H2G2. I have a copy of "Dandruff" myself, and the Scotch Sittingroom prose is nothing short of brilliant.

(Surreal and quirky, but nonetheless brilliant.)


Ah! Dear Ivor.

Post 2

Munchkin

Is that your flap, Jack? and Wet handle are two wee books of wonder. Great to just flip through and read bits out at random.
I saw him live in '98 or '99 and he was magic. He sounded very creaky, his harmonium had a duff key which kept creeping in and he really disliked any noise from the audience (he nearly had a baby ejected) but he was hilarious.
I remember being well surprised when watching a programme about John Peel once and realising that the song playing over the top of one section was an Ivor Cutler one. Turns out he has written a song about John Peel to thank him for being on his show so often.


Ah! Dear Ivor.

Post 3

Frankie Roberto

I've met Ivor Cutler a few times - he comes into my bookshop fairly frequently to sign copies of his books (though he's getting a bit senile in his old age, poor soul, he checks inside all his books to see if they're already signed, even if they've got a 'signed by author' sticker on front).

Last time I met him we chatted for about half an hour (mostly him imparting his unconventional wisdom to young me - though he did ask some questions). He's got a lot of 'pocket-sized' books because he says he likes the fact that "people can carry them around in their handbags" (so that's what they do with them!).


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more