The Royal Mile, Edinburgh - update?

1 Conversation

'perhaps the largest, longest and finest street for buildings and number of inhabitants, not in Britain only, but in the world'

Daniel Defoe, 1726.

In the earliest days of the history of Scotland's capital city, Edinburgh probably began as a fortified village situated on top of the volcanic hill now known as the Castle rock. As this could only be sensibly attacked from the East, its defensive possibilities were a natural attraction in those wild times.

Over the years, as the population increased, the need for housing outgrew the fortress on the hilltop and spilled out eastwards along the sloping ridge. Due to the narrowness of the ridge and the natural wish of the people to have ready access to the road running along its spine up to the protection of the fortress, the houses were built on the side of the ridge high and narrow. In fact - possibly the first 'skyscrapers' in the world.

By the time that Scotland's rulers decided that their importance demanded a more impressive residence than the royal apartments in the castle, the obvious choice for a site to build a Palace was on the level ground at the end of the road down the ridge from the castle hill. As the monarch often travelled this road it was only natural that it acquired a convenient nickname.

The Royal Mile

Attempts have been made to retain the historical atmosphere of this
street. It remains cobbled for much of its length, and there are tight restrictions on the way buildings in the area are constructed. You can also still find the occasional red telephone box on the Royal Mile.

Situated as it is, in the heart of Edinburgh's Old Town, the Royal Mile attracts tourists all year round, who enjoy the diverse range of shops and cafés found along its length. They often indulge in one of the many ghost/dungeon tours that take them down into the mediaeval vaults and tunnels deep underneath the Royal Mile and surrounding area.

Given its location between the two Royal residences, the road has
witnessed many historic ceremonies over the centuries; among the more recent being the return of the Stone of Scone, otherwise known as 'The Stone of Destiny' and the opening of the new Scottish Parliament.

Stretching slightly over a mile from the entrance of Edinburgh Castle Esplanade to the gates of the Palace of Holyroodhouse, the 'Royal Mile' actually consists of five streets which run into each other. It is normally recommended to walk the road in a downhill direction1, and this description shall follow that order, with a brief outline of the main highlights of each street.

Castlehill

Leading directly from the Castle esplanade or parade ground, (site of the International Military Tattoo), this is the oldest street in Edinburgh.

  • Cannonball House. Named from the cannonball lodged in its wall, this used to be the reservoir for drinking water for the city. The cannonball is supposed to have marked the height to which the first piped water supply to the city could rise.
  • Ramsey Gardens. Although not strictly on Castlehill itself these rather pretty buildings are generally regarded as the start of the Royal Mile. Built on the site of poet Allen Ramsey's house. Quaint and picturesque, the flats here are exorbitant in price and prospective buyers have to be OK'ed by the residents committee.
  • Scotch Whisky Heritage Centre. The name pretty much says it all.
  • Camera Obscura and Outlook tower. Why tramp all over Edinburgh when you can sit in a darkened room around a projected image of the city and have the points of interest come to you? Well worth a visit.
  • Witchery Ghost tours. The original, and in most peoples minds the best, of the ghost and dungeon tours. Wander round Edinburgh's Old Town conducted by a vampire in full regalia.
  • Assembly Hall. The back door to the assembly hall of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland. More often pictured as the front facade presiding over the Mound2, this is the working entrance to the building housing the Scottish Parliament until the boondoggle at the foot of the Royal Mile is completed.
  • The Hub. Previously the Highland Tolbooth Church with the tip of its spire the city's highest point. Now a centre for the International Festival. It houses a cafe, bar, ticket centre, shop and various function spaces.

Lawnmarket

Originally getting its name from a market for Lawn (Linen), now better known for tartan and souvenir shops.

  • Milnes Court. A reconstruction of the city's first open square, named after the Master Mason to King Charles II.
  • James Court. James Boswell 3 and Philosopher David Hume both lived here.
  • Gladstones Land. Dating from 1550 and extensively rebuilt in 1617, this six-storey tenement still retains its original arcaded front and painted and panelled interior decorations. Now maintained by the National Trust for Scotland it is furnished much as it might have been in the 17th Century.
  • Lady Stairs House. Situated in Semple's Close4; this house, built c1622 and named for an 18th Century resident, now houses manuscripts and memorabilia of three great Scottish writers - Robert Burns, Sir Walter Scott and Robert Louis Stevenson.
  • Brodies Close. Although named for his father Francis, this is most famous as the home of William Brodie one of the most colourful characters in Edinburgh's history. A highly respected Deacon5 and cabinetmaker by day, he used his skills to perform numerous burglaries by night. When finally captured he was publicly executed on a scaffold of his own design. Deacon Brodie has since entered history as the model for RL Stevenson's Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. He is also commemorated in the name of the pub on the other side of the Lawnmarket, Deacon Brodies Tavern.

High Street

Cobbles dreadful to drive down, cafés and restaurants

  • High Kirk of St Giles. Known to almost everyone in Edinburgh as St Giles Cathedral, this church was only a cathedral for two periods in the 17th century. It houses the Thistle chapel, home to the Order of the Thistle, Scotland's premier order of Chivalry.
  • Parliament Square. Surrounding St Giles Cathedral, this square houses several points of interest.
    • Parliament Hall.
    • Signet Library.
    • Heart of Midlothian.
    • Mercat Cross.
  • City Chambers.
  • Mary Kings Close.
  • Tron Kirk (old New year celebrations).
  • Museum of Childhood.
  • John Knox's House.

Canongate

Originally seperate burgh outside city walls - canon's gait (walk)

  • Canongate Tolbooth.
  • Canongate Kirk.
  • Huntly House.
  • Whitefoord House.
  • White Horse Close.
  • new parliament (waste of money!).

Abbey Strand

Originally the Abbey 'Lairds', once the home of aristocratic debtors taking advantage of the sanctuary of the Abbey grounds to avoid imprisonment for debts. Only on a Sunday could they safely leave the area.



Queens Gallery, Palace of Holyroodhouse

1For obvious reasons.2The road splitting Princes Street Gardens and site of the Royal Scottish Academy and the National Gallery.3Dr. Samuel Johnson's biographer.4Originally garden 'enclosures' these closes were filled in as land became scarce in the walled city, and the name became used for the narrow walkways leading off the main street.5Member of the Town Council.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1047601

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more