Raffles Institution

2 Conversations

Raffles Institution is located in the busy district of Bishan, on the sunny island of Singapore, at the tip of the Malaysian Peninsula. Home to the white-uniformed, top-scoring teenage boys in Singpore, RI has long been known as THE premier school in Singapore.

Originally founded by Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles (also the founder of modern Singapore), the Institution was initially known as Singapore Institution, but its name was later changed to honour its founder.

RI is more integrated in the culture of Singapore than many think. For one thing, the second most premier school in Singapore, Raffles Girls School, had its roots in a wing of the Institution. Raffles Junior College was originally formed out of the two most senior batches of Rafflesians (as members of RI, RGS and RJC call themselves). The National Library Board of Singapore had its origins in the Hullet Memorial Library of Singapore. And of course, the white raiment of the ruling political party of Singapore - the People's Action Party - stunningly reflects the RI uniform. Many of Singapore's greatest leaders, such as Lee Kuan Yew and Goh Chok Tong, once studied in RI.

In addition to soaring academically, students of RI somehow also manage to go LAN gaming, play a mean game of soccer, beat many others in the sporting arena, and chase after the girls of their sister school Raffles Girls School.

For more information, visit http://www.ri.sch.edu.sg

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1059518

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more