Coffee

1 Conversation

Coffee

This is about coffee as you drink it. Someone else has to grow the shrub, harvest, dry and roast the beans, do some magic in transforming the beans into a liquid and poor it in the cup.

A cup must be made of porcelain, thus reducing the weight of the cup when lifting it only using the bow. A mug must be made of solid glazed brickwork, so thick you do not burn yourself by touching the surface.
No sugar or milk to add, as this would reduce the "nectar" to something as vulgar as thea.

The liquid, should be near black, no foam floating on the rim, and when poored you should not be able to see trough the dark brown jet.
Temperature is still in debate. It should be served at near 70 degrees Celsius, and most common is to drink it before it reaches ambiant temperature.

Most of the liquid consists of water. As this water has been boiled in the process hardly any traces of dissolved gasses will have remained. The dissolved salts are still present.

The coffee elixer consistes of carbohydrates, nitrogenous components, chlorogenic acids, volatile components and carboxylic acids.
The carbohydrates in the elixer are polysaccharides in various states of hydrolysis as mannose, galactose, glucose and if not roasted for too long arabinose.
The nitrogenous components are there in three main groups: alkaloids, trigonelline together with nicotinic acid and amino acids and proteins.
The alkaloid caffeine is the most present, this is the drug that gives most of the effect. The trigonelline will be reduced to pyrridines and pyrroles during the roasting part of the process.
The chlorogenic acids are esters of quinic acid, between caffeic acid and the 5-OH group.
Some of the volatile components are: 2-methylfuran, 2-butanone, 2-methylbutanal, 2,5-dimethylfuran, 2,3-butanedione, pyrrolidine, 2,3-pentanedione, 2-methylthiophene, trans-2-methyl-2-butenal, 4-methyl-2,3-pentanedoine, 3-methyl-1-hydroxybenzene, pyrazine, furfurylmethylether and more of these unpronounceable chemical compounds.
The carboxylic acids are the rarest compounds found in the elixer as they count for less then 1 part per million of the dry substance. Some of them are 2-Methylvaleric acid and pyruvic acid.

Now we got the substances to create coffee defined. Lets start commanding coffee:
<GET mug>
<FILL mug=(content="water" temperaturecelcius="80")>
<ADD mug(content="carbohydrates")></ADD>
<ADD mug(content="nitrogenous components")></ADD>
<ADD mug(content="chlorogenic acids")></ADD>
<ADD mug(content="volatile components")></ADD>
<ADD mug(content="carboxylic acids")></ADD>
</FILL>
<OUTPUT allign="center" content="mug">
coffee
</GET>

I hope this is enough to get this machine to make some coffee for me. As I found <JavaScript> is moderated by the parser.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A1074151

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more