How to create a guide ML entry

0 Conversations

How to create a guide ML entry

First of all you got to register.

If you are registered you got to have some ideas to write about.

Ok now you have got something to write.

Hmm, lets see, rewrite that will you, all tags _MUST_ be capitalised. Not only for the parser and browsers, also to see the tags yourself. It is in GuideML as important to be able to read and interpretate the entry yourself as for the browsers. And do not forget to use indentation for the more complex parts. Every open tag one _space_ extra every close tag one less.

To write you can use any low level text editor (producing default .txt files) leaving no editor markup or macros included in the file. Unfortunately EDLIN.COM is no longer available.

Do write your entry's off line and keep a copy of the file on your backups. This is while you never know when the connection to the DNA servers will be lost with your best entry of all times lost in cyber space (the IP packets will never reach the bitbucket). Finally if you are happy with your entry you could try to create a new guide entry for it. Copy the content of your file to the data field of the page.

Create a name in the subject field. ( do not use < or > in this field as the whole entry will be marked as "Error in GuideML".) Select the circle for GuideML entry and the change type button. Now you will probably see Error in GuideML. Be sure this is what all of us see (admitted not always, neither rare). See if there is any addition made by the parser stating (BOLD) somewhere in the middle of a word you forgot something. If this is a statement about closing something look behind the inserted error text first. However I managered to find the error once on line three where the remark was on line 265. Any irregularity can create these remarks.

As long as you have not entered the entry you will have to use the change type button. (Preview is Ok since preSSO <winkeye>)
After you have managed to get your entry accepted error free you can try to enter the entry into the Guide. If this succeeded also you probaly want to be informed about conversation threads starting from this entry. Do not forget to push this button as well.

Any big changes you do on an existing entry goes more or less the same. First start pressing the edit button, -ALWAYS- refresh this page before anything else! Copy the content to a local file (by doing the final testing you forgot to backup the corrected content of this entry) by selecting, copy and pasting in your edit program. (Go off line again, for calling users) Then you reconstruct your entry. You can some sort of test it by pointing your browser to the local file (no guarantee for anything). After confident with updated content you can revert the procedure, copy content of updated local file over fresh opened, cleared (do not add the new content at the end or begin of the already existing) entry.

For small changes, do not forget to refresh, you can do with the edit window. Even then it is wise to store the content by selecting, copy and past to local file, after the preview has detected no errors. Keep in mind the preview does not handle links and images always the same way as a stored entry, some bugs you see will disappear when the entry has been entered into the Guide.



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1100782

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more