The Caped Confuzzler

1 Conversation

The Beginning

Long, long ago in a...

Okay, so like a really long time ago in outer space a really, really, really, huge meteor (and I mean really huge, now I see what you're thinking and it was much huger than that) began its journey. The journey continued for thousands of years as the meteor came ever closer to its final destination. During the long voyage, the meteor developed strange properties. Yep — there was some really strange real estate on that there meteor.

As the behemoth rock endured the long arduous trip, squashed into third class with no leg room and wearing its surgical stockings so that it didn't get DVT, it eroded and lost a great deal of mass. Part of this was due to being bashed by the air hostesses' trolleys. On the final approach to Earth, the original meteor was but a fraction of the rock that had left the planet Confuzzle. The meteor streaked towards a group of teenagers standing in front of the stadium waiting for a concert by their favourite band, Bloody Smooches, to begin.

'Ow! My eye!' yelped one of the teenagers, whose name was Keith Art. 'Something just landed in my eye. My eye, I tell you. Would you take a look at it? It's really bothering me,' said Keith, while staring wide-eyed at his friends and blinking.

'What? Don't be so dramatic. We were discussing our science project and how ... how ... I can't remember what it was,' said another of the group as she giggled.

'I'm con-con ... well, not really confused ... more fuzzy. Hmmm...' said another in the group.

Keith blinked a bit and grinned. 'Never mind, it seems to have gone away or calmed down.'

'Um,' said the girl through another fit of giggles. 'Would this be a good time to ask why you have a nice, healthy, greenish glow?'

'Of course, I'm only mildly radioactive today, and you?' answered the young man with a big grin and a few blinks.

'Come on, the show is about to start,' said one of the friends while indicating the time on her watch.

The next day at school, the friends were working in the science lab. The chemistry teacher wrote instructions on the chalkboard before leaving the room. The instructions seemed very complex. This particular chemistry teacher had quite a reputation for perfectionism.

Keith added the various ingredients to the beaker over the Bunsen burner. As Keith was finishing step 10, he realized that he had misread a line. After hesitating for a moment, Keith continued, while hoping that it wouldn't make any difference if the ingredients were a bit out of order. When he got to the last step, Keith turned off the burner and put away the other supplies. After he had cleaned his work station, Keith began to transfer the contents of his beaker into a container. His experiment was the only one that seemed to have turned to a dry dust instead of a paste. That was worrying.

The chemistry teacher noticed that something wasn't quite right. She motioned for Keith to bring his experiment to her desk. Keith carried the container to the teacher's desk while trying to think of a way to explain where things went awry. The teacher snatched the container from his hands so fast that a cloud of dust rose from the container, which made the teacher cough a couple of times. Without warning, the teacher's eyes slid in and out of focus a few times as a smile crept across her face.

'Well, you did your best, so you get 100%. I've never noticed those lovely green flecks in your eyes,' said the teacher to everyone's amazement.

'100%, she must be joking,' said Keith's friend John.

'I know. My eyes don't have green flecks,' answered Keith.

'Um, yes they do,' said the girl on the other side of the table as she handed Keith a mirror.

'Well, that's new,' said Keith as he looked really closely at his reflection in the mirror.

'Hey, what did you do to your experiment anyway?' asked John.

'Not sure, I think I swapped a couple of steps and ended up with this instead,' said Keith as he opened the container. Then, he noticed John's eyes sort of slide in and out of focus.

To be continued...

The Caped Confuzzler Archive

Evangeline and
Cal Fortuneswell

20.04.06 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A11034488

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more