Satellite telephone

0 Conversations



Satellite telephone


Also read A6742

Small phone circling the homeset.
Long wire hanging down from satellite A wire would be too heavy to hold itself.

At the Atlantic ocean public phone boots are also rare. ( Avoid extinction of public phone boots at Alantic ocean society ).



As most people have seen or heard of mobile cellular phones these do have a limited range, about 10 km == 15 miles ( A283213 ). Satellite phones have a much wider range, way out of the atmosphere to communication satellites. Most of these satellites are orbiting the earth in the Clarke orbit ( A423334 ). What means they are not moving with respect to the planet surface.


The International Big business have dumped their waste located satellites all round the earth. At 80 km == 120 miles ( A283213 and A423334 ) there is always one in reach of the more powerfull satellite phones. These satellites relay via each other to the public phone wired networks.


(honestly wrote all text first then checked for entries!!)


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1109297

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more