slug

0 Conversations

slug

a shell less snail known in most gardens

There are various species covered by slugs all gastropoda ( walking stomach ).
Any slug mostly consists of many muscles. They have one foot, by waving from the back they try to distract you and slide forward slowly. They breath by dissipation of gasses via their ga..a. Small contractions of their body create ventilation. The mouth part is mainly designed for suction of their food. Unwilling parts are moulded by use of their radula like a file making very juicy pudding of any leaves. Their radula moves like a tongue out and in transporting the pulp into their digestion channel.

All over their skin are glands producing the slime wich they leave on their trail. The skin has to be moist and to function as an osmotic barrier. The outer layer of their skin does not protect them from these dangers. In wet conditions slugs must protect themself not to over hydrate. In salty and dry conditions the layer of slime will protect them against dehydration.

Internal the slug use hydraulics to stay in shape. They pump their blood using their vessels on such way the vessels form a hydraulic skeleton. Most slugs can bridge gaps of one third body length this way.

Some kinds will be rather familiar for the average gardener.
Those light-pinky you will find under old brances eating decomposing wood and other plant debree.
The fat brown with a ribbed orange skirt loving your new plants, having lost intrest next day just leaving the stems by themselves.

Land slugs have four

They will lay their eggs every month in a soft layer of earth or in little cracks filled with dirt. After a few days new baby slugs will happyly populate the leftovers of your garden. Oh yes, this must be noted, most? are hermafrodites.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1117496

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more