Waendel Walk, Wellingborough, UK Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Waendel Walk, Wellingborough, UK

1 Conversation

If you're in the area of Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, UK, around May time, and you're stuck for something to do but have no money to do it, you could try the Waendel Walk.

Taking you on a circular route through the great English countryside and neighbouring villages (or through the towns, should petrol fumes be your air of choice), Waendel Walk offers you an abundance of fresh air and exercise, with the opportunity to refresh yourself at many drinking establishments along the way1.

Waendel Walk takes its name from Waendel Castle, the root of Wellingborough. The walk originated in 1979, started by one man – a renowned walker by the name of Bill Greenwood. The first event was a great success, with nearly 500 walkers, and has grown ever since. After many years the organisation was taken over by Wellingborough Borough Council. As the event grew the administration struggled and a few people were lost, only to return a few days later seeming to have found more pubs in the area than had ever actually been built (hence 'The Phantom Uber-Pub Crawl'). These days, the organisation is thoroughly well looked after by the International Marching League (IML), and fewer wanderers stray into other tavern-filled dimensions (though some still try). As the roots of the IML are founded in Holland, you will come across many Dutch walkers, complete with lederhosen, big white socks, and the odd twirly moustache. Comical as though this may seem, it is generally advisable not to point and laugh, as they are usually much bigger and stronger than you, carry large walking sticks, and can out-drink a large, thirsty camel with a strange predilection for strong ale.

Now too, the Walk has evolved into a whole weekend of activities. There is a choice of distances to cover – 15, 25 and 42km. Should you prefer to sit while exercising, there are 25 and 42 kilometre routes for cyclists. If water-based torture, erm, sport, is more your thing there is even a swimming event, for which you have to swim a minimum of 300 metres. Though it should be noted that less of the English countryside will be seen this way, you will, however, enjoy the beautiful blue-themed mosaic tile patterns at Croyland Road Swimming Pool.

The more sporty2 participants complete events over two days. For your troubles you even get a medal! If you go back again, you'll get '2nd year', '3rd year' medals, and so on. It's been going for 25 years, it could go on for another 25. Whether a '50th year' medal is to be diamond encrusted with spun gold tassels, has yet to be determined.

Useful things to bring on the walk:

  • Good comfortable shoes
  • Water
  • Sun hat
  • Rain mac (this is Britain)
  • Loo roll
  • Towel (you never know)

Some people also get sponsorship for completing various parts of the weekend, so you could do a good deed for your favourite charity at the same time. As a cheap day out, it's a great way to meet new people, get out into the country, and most importantly, make exercising fun!

1Some slanderous folk refer to it as a 'really long pub crawl'.2For 'sporty', read 'barmy'.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A1124713

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Edited by

h2g2 Editors

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more