Why esperanto?

0 Conversations

Participant in desire ( esperanto ), an artificial language, made to be used for human communication.

It has been donated to the public domain, so unlike most other artificial languages, we can use it free.

By the nature of esperanto it should be possible to communicate with nearly any nationality.

It is foreign to any country, altough every tongue can be rather easyly adapted to esperanto. And every willing person is able to grasp the intention of an esperanto phrase. It will take some practice but in a short while anyone should be able to use it liquidly. Unlike any natural language, it is virtually impossible to write double meaning in it.
In a way it is more like a dialect to any natural language then actual dialects or slang.

The <./>House-Rules</.> state it is not allowed to use any other language then english for conversation as the moderators have to comprehend the meaning. We will have to enclose any esperanto phrase as being esperanto and followed by a translation or explanation of what it means.
This way it is a course and moderation should not take place for being partly written non english.

One problem remains. What if users really do not have any knowledge of english? We and probably more researchers are willing to help translations ( even of postings ). The esperanto postings should state explicitly it is written in esperanto. The posting researchers should trow in all their english trying to explain their writing. And perhaps lots of emoticons. Just to avoid moderation.

To be honest some of our entries are not in english at all.
By the way, we have seen postings by italics making us wonder what they try to say, while they did not even try to use a single english word. Even requesting for an explanation failed to be responded Mina?? < U290 > ( the emphasized text is an automated link to the personal space of user Mina, one of the italics )

This is not a campaign to get everybody to read esperanto, this is no attempt to break the house rules.
This is another attempt to make this 'Brittan Guide' an 'Earth Edition of The Guide'.
The use of esperanto also can help the albatross by bringing the message to some of the non english reading population.

There is one thing every newsgroup encounters while starting a discussion about esperanto some state it does not exist is dead or not in wide spread use. Perhaps it is widespread, though not any country supports the study of esperanto on schools, and the users are rather polite in their use of the language. The industry has always just followed the rules in using any language, no one ever made a law to note the ingredients or such in esperanto.



They tried to learn me lots of human languages over the years, and let me make one thing clear: none of the human languages ever was my favourite. I preferred maths over any of these languages. Finally I managed to find a group of languages I more or less like: programming languages. And now for something completely different: esperanto.

My guess is it will take me days to translate this in something like esperanto...

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1152514

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more